Ultra-high energy photon interactions with matter

In summary: Every exclusive process falls with energy - that's just dimensional analysis. The number of allowed exclusive processes, however, grows with energy. The net effect is a slow growith with energy - roughly logarithmic.
pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
While this was inspired by another thread, I think the question is different enough that it can be asked separately. It's also more suited to this forum than the forum where the question that inspired this one was asked.

Wiki gives four possible interactions for interactions of gamma rays with matter in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_ray_cross_section#Photoelectric_effect_cross_section.

These are described as "photoelectric effect", "compton scattering", "pair production", and "triplet production".

Which of these mechanism (if any of the above) would dominate at unreasonably high photon energies? It appears it should be a function of ##k = h v / m_e c^2##, v being the photon frequency, but it's hard for me to tell what the asymptotic behavior of cross sectio vs k is. Note: while I know some physics at greater than the "I" level, particle physics isn't one of the fields where I have advanced knowledge.

By "unreasonably high energies", I mean I'm interested in photons with energies on the order of 1 gram * c^2, similar to the energies of the highest energy cosmic rays.

(My source for cosmic rays with this order of magnitude of energy is the wiki article on the GZK limit, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greisen–Zatsepin–Kuzmin_limit).

Also of interest is the highest energy photons detected. A google search gives 450 Tev and https://www.science.org/content/article/highest-energy-light-ever-seen-traced-crab-nebula. Is this popularization trustworthy?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are other processes that turn on at higher energy - the base processes you describe + additional radiation and photon-gluon fusion are two.

Likes ohwilleke
pervect said:
By "unreasonably high energies", I mean I'm interested in photons with energies on the order of 1 gram * c^2, similar to the energies of the highest energy cosmic rays.

?
Just a side detail - this isn’t the energy you mean. This energy is about the energy of the Hiroshima atomic bomb. You mean this many (c^2 in cm/ sec) e.v., not this many ergs.

Likes mfb
With enough energy you can produce all the particles we know (and probably some unknown ones, too). For specific cross sections ("probabilities") ask your local theorist, there are too many processes to list.

Likes vanhees71
PAllen said:
Just a side detail - this isn’t the energy you mean. This energy is about the energy of the Hiroshima atomic bomb. You mean this many (c^2 in cm/ sec) e.v., not this many ergs.

I had just started to wonder about that issue, i.e. if we really had cosmic ray protons of that energy, why were they were not more - erm - impactful. Even if they were not quite like atomic bombs, I would naievely think that the cascade showers would have been fairly destructive. As in "Death rays from space", not just flashes on sky survey instruments. Though I couldn't guess how far the energy might be spread out - the total irradiation of the whole Earth from the solar constant is on the order of kg/sec, last I calculated it.

A factor of (1ev/erg), about 10^-12, would explain the discrepancy though.

Last edited:
Vanadium 50 said:
There are other processes that turn on at higher energy - the base processes you describe + additional radiation and photon-gluon fusion are two.

I suppose what I'm really interested is the behavior of the total cross section vs energy. Does it increase, decrease, or stay the same at high energies? And - how fast.

Based on your comments, I've concluded that I don't know and don't have enough information to figure it out at the moment.

In the range of more reasonable energies (~TeV) the cross sections (or interaction length, if we talk about a mixture of targets) don't depend that much on the energy. I don't expect a change at even higher energies.

pervect said:
I suppose what I'm really interested is the behavior of the total cross section vs energy. Does it increase, decrease, or stay the same at high energies? And - how fast.
Every exclusive process falls with energy - that's just dimensional analysis. The number of allowed exclusive processes, however, grows with energy. The net effect is a slow growith with energy - roughly logarithmic.

Likes mfb

1. What is an ultra-high energy photon?

An ultra-high energy photon is a type of particle that carries electromagnetic radiation with extremely high energy levels. These photons have very short wavelengths and are often produced by high-energy processes such as nuclear reactions or cosmic events.

2. How do ultra-high energy photons interact with matter?

Ultra-high energy photons interact with matter through a process called pair production, in which the photon converts its energy into a pair of particles (usually an electron and a positron). This interaction is possible due to the high energy levels of the photon, which can overcome the mass of the particles it is interacting with.

3. What is the significance of studying ultra-high energy photon interactions with matter?

Studying ultra-high energy photon interactions with matter can provide valuable insights into the fundamental properties of matter and the laws of physics. It can also help us better understand high-energy processes in the universe, such as the formation of black holes and the production of cosmic rays.

4. How are ultra-high energy photons detected and measured?

Ultra-high energy photons are typically detected using specialized instruments such as particle detectors or telescopes. These instruments can measure the energy and direction of the photons, as well as the particles produced during their interactions with matter.

5. Can ultra-high energy photons be used for practical applications?

At this time, there are no practical applications for ultra-high energy photons. However, research in this field may lead to advancements in areas such as high-energy physics, astrophysics, and particle beam technology.