Punctured Pipeline: Estimate Oil Release Rate

• Thread starter kolis
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a punctured pressurized pipeline transporting oil with a diameter of 50 mm and a hole diameter of 2 mm. The pressure inside the pipeline is 20 bar and the rate of transported oil is 2m3 per hour. The speaker is seeking help to estimate the volume of oil released while the pump is still working, taking into account the two flows - one through the hole and one continuous in the pipeline after the hole. The conversation also mentions using an online orifice flow calculator to determine the flow through the hole, with a suggested orifice constant of 0.62 or 0.82. Another equation is also mentioned, which takes into account the cross sectional area, gravitational constant, and
kolis
Hi,
I've got punctured pressurized pipeline transporting an oil. Diameter of pipeline is 50 mm and diameter of the hole is only 2 mm. Pressure in the pipeline is 20 bar and pressure outside is atmospherical. The rate of transported oil is 2m3 per hour and I need to estimate released volume of oil, while pump is still working so I have two flows: one through the hole and another one continuous in pipeline after the hole.
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
kolis said:
Hi,
I've got punctured pressurized pipeline transporting an oil. Diameter of pipeline is 50 mm and diameter of the hole is only 2 mm. Pressure in the pipeline is 20 bar and pressure outside is atmospherical. The rate of transported oil is 2m3 per hour and I need to estimate released volume of oil, while pump is still working so I have two flows: one through the hole and another one continuous in pipeline after the hole.
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to the PF.

Is this question for schoolwork?

No it's not schoolwork.it has happened and I would like to know how much oil has leaked out.

Ok. But I've still got a problem with understanding this: When I've got a hole in a pipe there are two flows (one trough a hole and 2nd in pipe), so the flow through the hole is just a fraction of incoming flow. In equation it should be Qin=Qhole + Qpipe after hole and when I calculate flow through an orifice its just one flow so Qin=Qorifice
Or am I wrong?

Yes, flow through orifice is a fraction of total flow in. Let's say the flow out the orifice is 2 GPM which equates to 0.45 cubic meters per hour. If you have a flow of only 2.00 cubic meters per hour before the orifice, you only have a flow of 1.55 cubic meters after the orifice.

Ok.
I've found another equation to estimate leakage amount through small holes in a pipeline. It says:
Q=0.61A(2gh)^0.5

where
Q is flow in cu. ft./second
A is cross sectional area, sq. ft.
g is gravitational constant, ft/sec^2
h is head, feet
It looks like this is the right equation for me. Problem is, I don't know what is head or how can I calculate. Any help?

1. What is a punctured pipeline?

A punctured pipeline refers to a rupture or damage in a pipeline that causes oil to leak or be released from the pipeline. This can happen due to various reasons such as corrosion, external forces, or equipment failure.

2. How is the oil release rate estimated in a punctured pipeline?

The oil release rate is estimated by using various methods such as remote sensing techniques, flow rate measurements, and mathematical models. These methods take into account factors such as pipeline size, pressure, and type of oil to calculate the estimated rate of release.

3. What are the potential environmental impacts of a punctured pipeline?

A punctured pipeline can have significant environmental impacts, such as contaminating water bodies, harming wildlife, and damaging ecosystems. It can also affect human health and livelihoods, especially for communities dependent on the affected area.

4. How can a punctured pipeline be prevented?

Punctured pipelines can be prevented by regular maintenance and inspection of pipelines, using advanced technology for leak detection, and implementing safety protocols and regulations. It is also essential for pipeline operators to follow best practices and adhere to safety standards.

5. What are the potential cleanup methods for a punctured pipeline?

The cleanup methods for a punctured pipeline depend on various factors such as the type and amount of oil released, the location of the spill, and the surrounding environment. Some common cleanup techniques include mechanical recovery, dispersants, and bioremediation. The most suitable method is determined based on the specific situation and potential impacts.