Affect of Temperature on Squash Balls experiment

In summary, the person is preparing an experiment for IB physics on the topic of "Balls and Rubber Bands" and has chosen to investigate the effect of temperature on the bounciness of squash balls. They plan to drop five different squash balls at various temperatures and repeat the process after heating them up even more. They have some questions regarding the experiment, such as the maximum safe temperature to heat the balls, the best method for heating them, and how to accurately measure the rebound height without technology. The expert advises against using a bunsen burner to heat the balls and suggests using a fiducial mark to measure the rebound height. They also suggest heating the balls in water instead of using a bunsen burner.
iSasha
Hi there :)

Homework Statement

I am currently preparing an experiment for IB physics, and I need some help planning how I'm going to carry it out.

We were given the topic "Balls and Rubber Bands", and we could choose freely upon the exact research question. I personally chose "How does the increase of temperature affect the bounciness of squash balls". My teacher approved this topic.

I currently plan to drop 5 different squash balls each time heated to the same, specific temperatures. After having dropped all five balls, I heat them up even more, and repeat the process.

Homework Equations

None as of yet, I guess some basic maths calculations later on to find rebound height.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, here are my questions:
- What is the safest maximum temperature I should heat them up to without destroying the balls? My best guess was around 50 °C.
- What is the best method to heat them up without damaging them? My best guess was to use a bunsen burner and heat it from the side.
- How do I measure the rebound height without using a motion sensor, photoelectric gate, or a laser trigger (according to my teacher, the equipment we have at our school is inadequate)? My best guess was a 1 meter ruler, however I don't see how I would be able to accurately record the rebound height without using technology...Any help would be appreciated. Nothing is set in stone as of yet, so I can still change around the experiment if you guys think that it will be a good idea. If you guys don't think that such a research question will yield a good grade, please tell me so. I would prefer if you guys helped me work it out instead of giving a straight answer like other homework help sites do.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't try to heat squash balls with a bunsen burner !
Accuracy can be improved by repeating results... it is not all down to technology

Thanks for the quick response technician!
technician said:
Don't try to heat squash balls with a bunsen burner !
Ok then, what can I use to heat up the balls, without damaging them?

technician said:
Accuracy can be improved by repeating results... it is not all down to technology
Still, the experiment is really innacurate due to the fact that I will have to use my eyes to do the experiment. And I already am using multiple balls, and possibly multiple trials if I have enough time.

To help find the height of rebound try to arrange something called a 'fiducial' mark an adjustable stop of some kind that you can gauge the height with.
What is wrong with heating them in water... it is OK to heat the water with a bunsen burner... but care is still needed!

technician said:
To help find the height of rebound try to arrange something called a 'fiducial' mark an adjustable stop of some kind that you can gauge the height with.
Great! Now, how do I use this? The only things I could find on google were related to prostate cancer and motion tracking. Sorry for being such a noob :/

technician said:
What is wrong with heating them in water... it is OK to heat the water with a bunsen burner... but care is still needed!
Huh, I thought that water would damage them... BTW, I guess I'll try that.

Thanks again technician!

I hope this has got nothing to do with any kind of cancer!
If you are using a retort stand you could use a clamp and raise and lower it until you think you have it at the rebound height... make fine adjustments and you are then comparing the rebound height with a fixed mark... that is what is meant by a fiducial mark.
Heating in water will do a lot less damage than heating with a bunsen burner.

What is the purpose of the "Affect of Temperature on Squash Balls" experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to investigate how temperature affects the bounce of a squash ball.

How do you conduct the experiment?

First, gather a variety of squash balls of the same brand and model. Then, using a thermometer, measure the temperature of the squash balls and record it. Next, drop each ball from a certain height onto a hard surface and measure the height of the bounce. Repeat this process at different temperatures and record the results.

What are the expected results of the experiment?

It is expected that as the temperature of the squash balls increases, the height of the bounce will decrease. This is because the rubber material of the ball becomes more flexible and loses its elasticity in higher temperatures.

What are the possible sources of error in this experiment?

Some possible sources of error include not dropping the balls from the same height each time, using different brands or models of squash balls, or not controlling the temperature of the balls accurately.

How can the results of this experiment be applied in real life?

The results of this experiment can be applied in the game of squash, as players may want to use balls that have been kept at a certain temperature for optimal bounce. It can also be applied in other sports or activities that use rubber balls, as the principle of temperature affecting elasticity applies to all rubber materials.