Addition of Angular Momenta, problem with notation

In summary: So you can write the state in the new basis as$$\lvert \psi\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left( \sqrt{\frac{2}{3}} \lvert l=1, s=1/2, j=3/2, j_z=1/2\rangle + \sqrt{\frac{1}{3}} \lvert l=1, s=1/2, j=1/2, j_z=1/2\rangle \right).$$In summary, the state |\psi> can be expressed in the basis
joelcponte

Homework Statement

The electron in a hydrogen atom is described by the following superposition of two states:

[itex]|\psi> = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(|n=2,l=1,m=0,s_z= +1/2> + |n=2,l=0,m=0,s_z= +1/2>) [/itex]

(b) Let J = L + S be the total angular momentum. Express state [itex]\psi[/itex] in basis [itex]|n, l, J, J_z>[/itex]
Hint: use the Clebsch -Gordan coffecients from the table on pg. 188 of Griffiths.

Homework Equations

[itex] |s_1 m_1>|s_2 m_2> = \sum C^{s_1s_2s}_{m_1m_2m}|s m> [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first state:

[itex]|n=2,l=1,m=0,s_z= +1/2> ====> l=1, s = 1/2 [/itex]
[itex]|1,0>|1/2,1/2> = \sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}|3/2,1/2> - \sqrt{\frac{1}{3}}|1/2,1/2> [/itex]

For the second state:

[itex]|n=2,l=0,m=0,s_z= +1/2> [/itex] ====> there's no orbital angular momentum

My question is: I don't know if what I've done is correct and, if it is, I don't know how to transform to the notation he asks. For me, the "l" in the new notation doesn't make sense or have to be 0.

Physics news on Phys.org
joelcponte said:

Homework Statement

The electron in a hydrogen atom is described by the following superposition of two states:

[itex]|\psi> = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(|n=2,l=1,m=0,s_z= +1/2> + |n=2,l=0,m=0,s_z= +1/2>) [/itex]

(b) Let J = L + S be the total angular momentum. Express state [itex]\psi[/itex] in basis [itex]|n, l, J, J_z>[/itex]
Hint: use the Clebsch -Gordan coffecients from the table on pg. 188 of Griffiths.

Homework Equations

[itex] |s_1 m_1>|s_2 m_2> = \sum C^{s_1s_2s}_{m_1m_2m}|s m> [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first state:

[itex]|n=2,l=1,m=0,s_z= +1/2> ====> l=1, s = 1/2 [/itex]
[itex]|1,0>|1/2,1/2> = \sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}|3/2,1/2> - \sqrt{\frac{1}{3}}|1/2,1/2> [/itex]
That's right.

For the second state:

[itex]|n=2,l=0,m=0,s_z= +1/2> [/itex] ====> there's no orbital angular momentum
So what are j and jz equal to in this case?

My question is: I don't know if what I've done is correct and, if it is, I don't know how to transform to the notation he asks. For me, the "l" in the new notation doesn't make sense or have to be 0.
You have one basis with states of the form ##\lvert \ l\ m_l \rangle \lvert\ s\ m_s \rangle##. These states are eigenstates of L2, Lz, S2, and Sz. The other basis has states of the form ##\lvert \ l\ s\ j\ j_z\rangle##, which are eigenstates of L2, S2, J2, and Jz. These two bases are related through the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients.

When you wrote
$$\lvert 1,0\rangle \lvert 1/2,1/2\rangle = \sqrt{\frac{2}{3}} \lvert 3/2,1/2\rangle - \sqrt{\frac{1}{3}} \lvert1/2,1/2\rangle,$$ what it really means is
$$\lvert 1,0\rangle \lvert 1/2,1/2\rangle = \sqrt{\frac{2}{3}} \lvert l=1, s=1/2, j=3/2, j_z=1/2\rangle - \sqrt{\frac{1}{3}} \lvert l=1, s=1/2, j=1/2, j_z=1/2\rangle,$$

FAQ: Addition of Angular Momenta, problem with notation

1. What is angular momentum and why is it important in science?

Angular momentum is a property of a rotating object that describes its tendency to keep rotating. It is important in science because it is a conserved quantity, meaning it remains constant in a closed system. This makes it a useful concept in understanding the behavior of rotating objects and systems.

2. What is the notation used for representing the addition of angular momenta?

The notation used for representing the addition of angular momenta is the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients. These coefficients are represented by numbers and symbols that indicate the coupling of different angular momenta states.

3. What is the problem with the notation used for the addition of angular momenta?

The problem with the notation is that it can be complex and difficult to understand. It involves a lot of mathematical symbols and calculations, which can be confusing for those who are not familiar with it.

4. How is the addition of angular momenta calculated?

The addition of angular momenta is calculated using the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients and the vector addition rule. The coefficients are multiplied with the corresponding angular momenta states and then added together to get the total angular momentum state.

5. What are some practical applications of the addition of angular momenta in science?

The addition of angular momenta has many practical applications in science, including understanding the behavior of atomic and molecular systems, studying the properties of magnetic materials, and analyzing the rotational motion of celestial bodies. It is also used in quantum mechanics and other areas of physics to study the behavior of particles and subatomic particles.

Back