Calculate the rope tensions (please tell me if I've made a mistake)

In summary, to calculate rope tensions, you will need to know the weight of the object, the angle at which the rope is being pulled, and the coefficient of friction of the rope. The formula for calculating rope tensions is T = (W/sinθ) + (μWcosθ), where T is the tension in the rope, W is the weight of the object being supported, θ is the angle at which the rope is being pulled, and μ is the coefficient of friction of the rope. The coefficient of friction of a rope is a unitless value that measures the resistance to motion between the rope and the surface it is in contact with. It is essential to use the correct formula and accurate measurements, including the coefficient of
ScullyX51

Homework Statement

Two students want to raise a heavy box onto the back of a truck. They do this by putting a rope through a handle on the box, and each lifting one side of the rope. The arrangement is symmetrical, so that the rope makes an angle (theta) with the horizontal on either side. The box is moved at constant speed.
1) draw a FBD
2) choose a coordinate system and write each of the forces in terms of our coordinates using vector notation.
3)Calculate the magnitude of the tension in each side of the rope. Let the mass of the trunk (including the handles) be M, and neglect the mass of the rope. In terms of M, g, and theta

Homework Equations

F=ma
constant speed= 0 acceleration.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the FBD I set up a standard xy coordinate system. I have mg pointing down in the j direction (or -y). T1 point diagonaly up to the left, and T2 pointing diagonaly up to the right. and M at the origin of course.

For the coordinates of the forces I have:
Fgrav= -mgJ
T1= t1(cos(theta)i+sin(theta)j)
T2=t2(-cos(theta)i+sin(theta)j)

To solve for the magnitude:
I gathered terms in the i direction:
T1cos(theta)-T2(cos(theta)=0
T1cos(theta)=T2(cos(theta)
T1= T2(cos(theta))/cos(theta)
the cos(theta) cancel out and we are left with: T1=T2

I gathered terms in the j direction:
T1sin(theta)+T2sin(theta)-mg=0
I then plugged in T2 FOR T1, since I calculated that from the I direction, so now I have:
T2sin(theta)+T2sin(theta)+mg -----> 2T2sin(theta)-mg------> T2= mg/2sin(theta) and since T1=T2 this is the answer for both sides of the rope.
I know this is a lot of text, but if someone could tell me if I did this right it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ScullyX51,

ScullyX51 said:

Homework Statement

Two students want to raise a heavy box onto the back of a truck. They do this by putting a rope through a handle on the box, and each lifting one side of the rope. The arrangement is symmetrical, so that the rope makes an angle (theta) with the horizontal on either side. The box is moved at constant speed.
1) draw a FBD
2) choose a coordinate system and write each of the forces in terms of our coordinates using vector notation.
3)Calculate the magnitude of the tension in each side of the rope. Let the mass of the trunk (including the handles) be M, and neglect the mass of the rope. In terms of M, g, and theta

Homework Equations

F=ma
constant speed= 0 acceleration.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the FBD I set up a standard xy coordinate system. I have mg pointing down in the j direction (or -y). T1 point diagonaly up to the left, and T2 pointing diagonaly up to the right. and M at the origin of course.

For the coordinates of the forces I have:
Fgrav= -mgJ
T1= t1(cos(theta)i+sin(theta)j)
T2=t2(-cos(theta)i+sin(theta)j)

To solve for the magnitude:
I gathered terms in the i direction:
T1cos(theta)-T2(cos(theta)=0
T1cos(theta)=T2(cos(theta)
T1= T2(cos(theta))/cos(theta)
the cos(theta) cancel out and we are left with: T1=T2

I gathered terms in the j direction:
T1sin(theta)+T2sin(theta)-mg=0
I then plugged in T2 FOR T1, since I calculated that from the I direction, so now I have:
T2sin(theta)+T2sin(theta)+mg -----> 2T2sin(theta)-mg------> T2= mg/2sin(theta) and since T1=T2 this is the answer for both sides of the rope.
I know this is a lot of text, but if someone could tell me if I did this right it would be greatly appreciated.

I don't see anything wrong, and your final answer looks right to me.

ok thanks. now if the problem asks what would happen if the box was moving up at constant acceleration, how would the equation change. I figured that since it is moving up there is only motion in the j direction, and so I substituted a into the equation for the j's and got:
t2sin(theta)+t2sin(theta)-mg=ma
2t2sin(theta)=mg+ma
t2= mg+ma/2sin(theta)
and since t1 is still equal to t2, this is the tension of t1 as well.
how does this look?

ScullyX51 said:
ok thanks. now if the problem asks what would happen if the box was moving up at constant acceleration, how would the equation change. I figured that since it is moving up there is only motion in the j direction, and so I substituted a into the equation for the j's and got:
t2sin(theta)+t2sin(theta)-mg=ma
2t2sin(theta)=mg+ma
t2= mg+ma/2sin(theta)
and since t1 is still equal to t2, this is the tension of t1 as well.
how does this look?

If I'm visualizing the problem correctly, this looks right to me, as long as when you type in:

t2= mg+ma/2sin(theta)

you mean

t2= (mg+ma) / 2sin(theta)

1. How do I calculate rope tensions?

To calculate rope tensions, you will need to know the weight of the object being supported by the rope, the angle at which the rope is being pulled, and the coefficient of friction of the rope. Then, you can use the formula T = (W/sinθ) + (μWcosθ) to find the tension in the rope.

2. What is the formula for calculating rope tensions?

The formula for calculating rope tensions is T = (W/sinθ) + (μWcosθ), where T is the tension in the rope, W is the weight of the object being supported, θ is the angle at which the rope is being pulled, and μ is the coefficient of friction of the rope.

3. What is the coefficient of friction of a rope?

The coefficient of friction of a rope is a measure of the resistance to motion between the rope and the surface it is in contact with. It is a unitless value that typically ranges from 0 to 1, with a lower value indicating less friction and a higher value indicating more friction.

4. Can I calculate rope tensions without knowing the coefficient of friction?

No, the coefficient of friction is an essential component in the formula for calculating rope tensions. Without it, you will not be able to accurately determine the tension in the rope.

5. What are some common mistakes when calculating rope tensions?

Some common mistakes when calculating rope tensions include using the wrong formula, incorrect measurements of the weight or angle, and using an incorrect value for the coefficient of friction. It is also essential to make sure all units are consistent in the calculations.