How to Calculate Gas Volume When Given Mass?

• Thread starter MadmanMurray
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas Volume
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the volume of a gas when given the mass of a substance. It is mentioned that at STP, 1 mole of any gas is equal to 22.4L, but this is a shortcut and using the ideal gas equation is a more accurate approach. The conversation also highlights the importance of understanding the concepts rather than just memorizing shortcuts.
MadmanMurray
I had a question on a test which asked me the volume of sulphur dioxide that would be formed if 12.7g of copper were used. How do you calculate gas volume when you only have the mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
At STP, 1 mol of any gas is equal to 22.4L. So if you know the moles of sulfur dioxide you can multiply that by 22.4 to get the volume.

That's assuming you are asked for volume at STP and assuming you know what STP means. STP has no one, accepted definition and T/p values used depend on the application, defining body and so on. See wikipedia article on STP for details.

The most general approach is to use ideal gas equation, pV=nRT. Using 22.4L is only a shortcut, one that can give dangerously wrong answer.

Thanks a lot Renge. I knew it was a constant I just couldn't find the constant on google. I best memorize that number.

Borek this is real basic chemistry we're doing at the moment the teacher wrote that constant (22.4L) on the board I just forgot it. It was STP I forgot to mention that. I'm going to learn that ideal gas equation though because chemistry is the field I'm planning on getting into. Thanks.

There is nothing wrong with using some shortcuts and simplifications at some point when learning an idea, it is just good to know beforehand that it is just a simplification.

I have a question related to this thread. So if the STP of any gas is 22.4L per mole, all you have to do is to multiply 22.4L with the number of moles of the specified gas? High-school level chemistry is what I'm doing, so as of right now I need not learn that equation...

Julian_delia said:
So if the STP of any gas is 22.4L per mole

VOLUME of 1 mole of gas at STP is 22.4L.

all you have to do is to multiply 22.4L with the number of moles of the specified gas?

If you are not given exact conditions (T,P) that's often the best approximation.

1. How do you calculate gas volume at STP?

The gas volume at STP (Standard Temperature and Pressure) can be calculated by using the ideal gas law equation: V = nRT/P, where V is the volume of the gas in liters, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the universal gas constant (0.0821 L atm/mol K), T is the temperature in Kelvin (273 K at STP), and P is the pressure in atmospheres (1 atm at STP).

2. What is STP?

STP stands for Standard Temperature and Pressure, and it is the standard set of values used to calculate gas volume. STP is defined as a temperature of 273 Kelvin (0 degrees Celsius) and a pressure of 1 atmosphere (760 mmHg or 101.3 kPa).

3. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas. It is written as PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the universal gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

4. Can gas volume be calculated at a different temperature and pressure?

Yes, gas volume can be calculated at different temperatures and pressures using the ideal gas law equation. However, the temperature and pressure values must be converted to Kelvin and atmospheres respectively before plugging them into the equation.

5. What are the units for gas volume at STP?

The units for gas volume at STP are liters (L) or cubic centimeters (cm3). These units can be converted to other units of volume, such as milliliters (mL) or cubic meters (m3), if needed.