Need Help figuring out this gas cylinder volume issue

bspayne1983
First post but this issue has me mind boggled. I work for a compressed gas cylinder test lab and we are doing some gas cycle testing. I am testing 300 liter composite gas cylinder and filling it with nitrogen to 5000 psi, it takes 4 hrs to fill with 2 Bauer high pressure compressors running simultaneously. I want to reduce the filling time by reducing the internal volume of the cylinder by filling it 90% full with HDPE plastic rods. So, that’s what I have done but it still takes the exact same of nitrogen to fill it with reduced volume as it did with original volume(300L). I don’t understand how this is possible? If anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
bspayne1983 said:
So, that’s what I have done but it still takes the exact same of nitrogen to fill it with reduced volume as it did with original volume(300L).
How do you measure the volume of nitrogen needed to fill the cylinder to 5000 psi ?
Do you measure the weight when the cylinder is empty and when full ?
Do you measure the time needed to reach 5000 psi ?

Is nitrogen moving into the volume of the HDPE polymer ?
Most dry polymers will absorb 2% to 5% water by volume over time.
Test that, by venting the cylinder quickly to atmospheric pressure, does N2 continue to diffuse from the HDPE for some time afterwards ? Does the pressure rise again ?

It worries me that you are using gas pressure and not a liquid to test the cylinder.
Why do you not pressure test with a safe liquid, like water?
You are building a "fragmentation grenade" by including HDPE rods inside the 5000 psi cylinder.

Likes Lnewqban, gmax137, russ_watters and 1 other person
Baluncore said:
It worries me that you are using gas pressure and not a liquid to test the cylinder.
Why do you not pressure test with a safe liquid, like water?
Very good point. Hydrostatic testing is a standard for pressurized gas cylinders (like O2 cylinders used in EMS and hospitals)...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrostatic_test

When things make no sense, it usually means that one (or more) of your "facts" is wrong. Things always make sense (except quantum mechanics).

Likes jrmichler and russ_watters
How compressible is HDPE?

Likes Baluncore
bspayne1983 said:
I am testing 300 liter composite gas cylinder and filling it with nitrogen to 5000 psi, it takes 4 hrs to fill with 2 Bauer high pressure compressors running simultaneously
Why two compressors?
What type?
What is the SCFM of the compressors?

4 hours fill time seems to be a problem - do you have a leak in your plumbing?
What is the source of N2? - Another bottle of N2, or generation of N2 from the air while pumping?

bspayne1983 said:
First post but this issue has me mind boggled. I work for a compressed gas cylinder test lab and we are doing some gas cycle testing. I am testing 300 liter composite gas cylinder and filling it with nitrogen to 5000 psi, it takes 4 hrs to fill with 2 Bauer high pressure compressors running simultaneously. I want to reduce the filling time by reducing the internal volume of the cylinder by filling it 90% full with HDPE plastic rods. So, that’s what I have done but it still takes the exact same of nitrogen to fill it with reduced volume as it did with original volume(300L). I don’t understand how this is possible? If anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated
Maybe the gauge saying 300L is actually pressure gauge. Gases have constant pressure/volume values so displacing volume "tricks" gauge as it is measuring the gas pressure. I worked as a plumber and we had to apply static pressure tests on natural gas lines where the gauge was required to be at highest point. My plumber and I theorized about the placement all afternoon. The water supply lines underwent similar static pressure test requiring the gauge be at apex as well but hydraulic pressures and gas pressures are affected differently by their respective environments. (I'm not a dr, but I play one t the job site.)

Welcome, @bspayne1983 ! :cool:

The problem seems to be in reaching that high pressure while the valves of the compressors fight the gas from flowing back into the cylinder.

Are your compressors working in series or as two stages?
Are them rated to reach that high pressure?

Note that volumetric capacity of most compressors is given for less than 200 bars.

The higher the output pressure to reach, the higher the temperature and the less the mass that goes into the tank for each stroke.

Fill the tank with a suitable liquid and use a pump if at all possible, or minimum amount of gas, if not.

Copied from
https://www.bauer-kompressoren.de/f...ist/serviceunterlagen/betreiberhandbuch_e.pdf

Compressors.jpg

Likes russ_watters
A couple of thoughts:
Is there an inter-cooler, else the hot air being pumped into tank is cooling there, reducing effective pressure.

Is pressure 'stroke' of one compressor thwarting other ? By analogy with exhaust manifold of IC engines, where unfortunate configuration gives 'badly tuned' standing waves etc for too much back-pressure on one or more cylinders, reducing gas clearance and efficiency...

FWIW, please, please take heed of those very under-stated cautions about hydraulic rather than pneumatic pressure testing: Safety videos of their comparative failure modes show difference between 'Oops' and 'Boiler Explosion'. In case of latter, 'Be NOT There'...

Likes russ_watters
Nik_2213 said:
difference between 'Oops' and 'Boiler Explosion'. In case of latter, 'Be NOT There'...
Not to worry, if there for the latter, he will definitely not be Anywhere afterwards. :oldsurprised:

Likes Nik_2213
Nik_2213 said:
FWIW, please, please take heed of those very under-stated cautions about hydraulic rather than pneumatic pressure testing:
bspayne1983 said:
I work for a compressed gas cylinder test lab and we are doing some gas cycle testing.
We know that the OP is fully aware of the difference between hydraulic and gas pressure testing. In a way, part filling the cylinder with HDPE, is reducing the stored energy, while making the cyclic testing quicker, and more economic.

The repeated warning is for newcomers to the field, who need to be reminded of the stored energy present in compressed gas, and the destruction caused, when a pressure vessel fails. Being aware saves a lot of paper work, and the coroners time.

• Love
Likes Nik_2213 and Tom.G

1. How do I calculate the volume of a gas cylinder?

To calculate the volume of a gas cylinder, you need to know the internal dimensions of the cylinder, primarily the radius (r) and the height (h). The volume (V) can be calculated using the formula V = πr²h, where π (pi) is approximately 3.14159. Measure the radius and height in the same units to get the volume in cubic units (e.g., cubic meters, cubic feet).

2. What factors affect the amount of gas a cylinder can hold?

The amount of gas a cylinder can hold is influenced by the cylinder's volume, the temperature, the pressure, and the type of gas. According to the ideal gas law (PV = nRT), where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin, changes in temperature and pressure can significantly affect the gas quantity in moles that a cylinder can hold.

3. How do I convert gas volume from one unit to another?

To convert the volume of gas from one unit to another, you can use conversion factors. For instance, to convert cubic feet to cubic meters, multiply by 0.0283168 (since 1 cubic foot = 0.0283168 cubic meters). Always ensure you use the correct conversion factor for the units you are converting between to maintain accuracy.

4. How can I determine if a gas cylinder is safe to use?

To determine if a gas cylinder is safe to use, inspect the cylinder for any signs of damage such as dents, rust, or leaks. Check the pressure gauge to ensure it is within safe operating limits. Always refer to the manufacturer’s guidelines and safety standards relevant to your region or industry. Regular inspections and maintenance are crucial to ensure the safety and integrity of gas cylinders.

5. What should I do if I suspect a gas leak in a cylinder?

If you suspect a gas leak in a cylinder, immediately ensure the safety of the area by evacuating personnel and eliminating potential ignition sources. Use gas detection equipment to confirm the leak. If confirmed, close the cylinder valve to stop the leak if it's safe to do so. Report the issue to the appropriate safety authorities and follow emergency protocols. Always handle gas leaks with extreme caution to prevent accidents.