Calculate Force on Wall from Tornado Pressure: N Units

• Thread starter PeachyKeenZen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Wall
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the approximate outward force on a wall when a tornado with a pressure of 0.46 atm envelopes a house. The formula used is F=PA, where P is atmospheric pressure of 1.013 x 10^5 Pa and A is the area of the wall. The individual tried converting atm to Pa and then multiplying, but encountered incorrect results. The correct calculation is to multiply the pressure and area to find the force.
PeachyKeenZen
Air within the funnel of a large tornado may have a pressure of only 0.46 atm.
What is the approximate outward force F on a 6.2m x 5.5m wall if a tornado suddenly envelopes the house? Atmospheric pressure is 1.013 x 10^5 Pa. Answer in units of N.

I know that P= F/A, so F=PA. I tryed just multiplying the pressure and area, but that was not correct. I also tried converting atms to Pa and then multiplying; however, that was also incorrect.

Help me, please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

What pressure did you use to find the force?

.46 atm.
I mulitiplied .46 and 1.013 x 10^5 to convert atm to Pa. And I got 46598 Pa and then mulitiplied that by 34.1 m^2 (6.2m x 5.5m) to solve for the force.

Related to Calculate Force on Wall from Tornado Pressure: N Units

1. What is the formula for calculating force on a wall from tornado pressure?

The formula for calculating force on a wall from tornado pressure is F = P x A, where F is the force in Newtons (N), P is the pressure in Pascals (Pa), and A is the area of the wall in square meters (m^2).

2. How is the pressure of a tornado measured?

The pressure of a tornado is measured using a device called a barometer. It measures the atmospheric pressure in Pascals (Pa) and can be used to estimate the pressure of a tornado.

3. What units are used to measure force on a wall from tornado pressure?

Force on a wall from tornado pressure is typically measured in Newtons (N). However, it can also be measured in other units such as pounds (lbs) or kilogram-force (kgf).

4. Are there any other factors that affect the force on a wall from tornado pressure?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the force on a wall from tornado pressure, such as the angle of the wall in relation to the direction of the tornado, the strength and duration of the tornado, and the structural integrity of the wall.

5. How can the force on a wall from tornado pressure be reduced?

The force on a wall from tornado pressure can be reduced by strengthening the wall with materials such as reinforced concrete or steel, ensuring proper construction techniques are used, and implementing tornado-resistant design features such as wind-resistant doors and windows.