Fluid flow question using bernoulli's and continuity equations

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the diameter of a constricted section of a horizontal pipe in order to reduce the pressure at a certain point. The equations used include Bernoulli's equation and the continuity equation, and the final answer is found to be 0.42092298 cm. There is also a discussion on converting from volume flow rate to velocity.
lilmul123

Homework Statement

The pressure in a section of horizontal pipe with a diameter of 2.0 cm is 140 kPa. Water flows through the pipe at 2.80 L/s. Assume laminar nonviscous flow. If the pressure at a certain point is to be reduced to 102 kPa by constricting a section of the pipe, what should the diameter of the constricted section be in cm?

Homework Equations

Bernoulli's equation for constant elevation: P1 + .5p(v1)^2 = P2 + .5p(v2)^2

P1 = 140000 Pa
p = 1000 kg/m^3
v1 = 2.8 L/s

P2 = 102000 Pa
v2 = ?

Continuity equation = A1*v1 - A2*v2 = 0

A1 = pi(.01)^2
v1 = 2.8 L/s

A2 = pi(r)^2
v2 = answer to Bernoulli equation above (63.21392252 L/s)

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in all known variables to Bernoulli's equation above, and got 63.21392252 L/s for the v2 flow speed. I then used the continuity equation to search for A2, and then to find r, and then to convert to d. I found r to be .0021046149 m, doubled that to find d to be .0042092298m, and converted to cm to find the final answer to be 0.42092298 cm. This is incorrect. Can someone see where I might have done something wrong? Maybe it's a simple math error?

Physics news on Phys.org
But the quantity given in L/s is a volume flow rate, not a velocity.

Oh, of course. I just googled it, but I can't figure out how to convert from L/s to m/s, can you help me with that?

If you have a cylindrical volume representing the amount of fluid to "flow by" in one second, and you know its cross sectional area, then you know the what the third dimension (the length of the cylinder) has to be in order for the cylinder to be of that volume. Therefore, you know how much distance is covered by the fluid in one second.

1. What is Bernoulli's equation and how is it used in fluid flow calculations?

Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental equation in fluid mechanics that relates the pressure, velocity, and height of a fluid flowing through a pipe or channel. It is used to calculate the pressure difference between two points in a flow, and can also be used to analyze the effects of changes in velocity or height on the pressure within a fluid.

2. How is continuity equation related to fluid flow?

The continuity equation is a fundamental principle in fluid mechanics that states that the mass flow rate of a fluid must remain constant at any given point in a flow. This means that as the velocity of a fluid increases, the cross-sectional area of the flow must decrease in order to maintain a constant mass flow rate.

3. Can Bernoulli's equation be applied to any type of fluid flow?

Yes, Bernoulli's equation can be applied to any type of fluid flow, as long as the flow is steady, incompressible, and inviscid (meaning there is no friction or viscosity present). This includes both liquids and gases.

4. What are the assumptions made in using Bernoulli's equation in fluid flow calculations?

The assumptions made in using Bernoulli's equation include steady flow, incompressibility, and inviscid flow. Additionally, the equation assumes that the flow is along a streamline (meaning there is no turbulence) and that the fluid properties, such as density and viscosity, do not change along the flow.

5. How is the Bernoulli's equation derived and what are its limitations?

Bernoulli's equation is derived from the conservation of energy principle, which states that the total energy of a system must remain constant. Its limitations include the assumptions mentioned above, as well as the fact that it cannot be used to analyze flows with significant changes in elevation or where the fluid is compressible.