Why does light/energy propagate?

• Thread starter force5
  • Start date
In summary: If permissibility increases (aka the Higgs field gets stronger), then EM radiation (light) can propagate farther. Conversely, if permissibility decreases (aka the Higgs field gets weaker), then EM radiation can't propagate as far.In summary, EM radiation can propagate because the permissibility of space permits it to do so.
force5
Is there a concesus as to "why" light propagates. What force(s) are involved in the process? If this is not known or understood, are there any current theories?

Is this a reasonable question?...Thanks in advance for all valid replies.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand your question, so let me re-phrase and give some views:

"What is light?" Electro-magnetic radiation, i.e. {insert a detailed description here}. Photons, i.e. {insert a detailed description here}

"What theories etc are consistent with the results of observations and experiments into the nature of light?" Maxwell's equations, Special Relativity, Quantum Mechanics, ... {insert detailed descriptions here}

"Are there any results which are inconsistent with these theories?" No.

"Within these theories, how does light travel from one place to another?" {insert discussion here}

"Why does light move from one place to another in the way described in answer to the previous question?"
A: because that's what 'propogation' is within these theories
B: this question cannot be answered within the scope of the theories which account for all relevant observations and experiments
C: {ø}

Does this help? Would you like more detail on any of these?

Is force5 just looking for a layperson's hand waving' explanation of electro-magnetic radiation?
If so will this do?

1. You are probably familiar with magnetic forces, fridge magnets etc.
2. You are probably familiar with electrostatic forces, such as when you vigorously brush or comb dry hair with a nylon brush/comb and find it all sticks up. Each hair strand has been charged with an electric charge by friction and each strand repels each other strand so they all stick up on end.
3. Now a moving electric charge produces a magnetic force, as in an electro-magnet found in an electric motor.
4. And a changing magnetic field produces an electric current in a conductor (wire) as in a dynamo.
5. These two forces, the electric force and the magnetic force are two different manifestations of the same thing, an electro-magnetic force.
6. Now if an electric charge not only moves but accelerates it produces a changing magnetic field, and a changing magnetic field produces a changing electric field which produces a changing magnetic field and so on.
7. In this way the energy that has gone into vibrating the original charge now propagates across space, even empty 'vacuum' such as that between the Sun and ourselves.
8. This is called electro-magnetic radiation and depending on wavelength, that is its frequency of vibration, the radiation may be radio waves, microwaves, infrared, light, ultra-violet, X-ray or gamma ray radiation.

In this way light and all the other forms of e-m radiation propagate across space and time.

Garth

Last edited:
Sorry if question is not phased properly

Thanks for responding;

Based on entropy, I assume EMR is pulled out of the producing system. And I am trying to find a connection between DE and propagation. If dark energy is responsible for expansion, as some have speculated, what would be the relationship between energy producing systems and dark energy.

Again, I'm sorry for not phasing thinks very well. Sometimes I have a problem putting my thoughs into words. (English; not my favorite subject)

Leave dark energy and entropy aside. They have nothing to do with EM propogation[re: the Maxwell equations]. EM propogation is constrained by permitivity and permissibility of space.

1. Why does light/energy travel at a constant speed?

Light/energy travels at a constant speed because of the fundamental properties of space and time. The speed of light is determined by the permittivity and permeability of the vacuum, which are universal constants. This means that light/energy will always travel at the same speed regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

2. How does light/energy propagate in a vacuum?

In a vacuum, light/energy propagates through the emission and absorption of photons. Photons are particles of light that carry energy and travel in a straight line at the speed of light. As they travel through a vacuum, they do not interact with any other particles, allowing them to maintain their constant speed.

3. What is the role of electromagnetic fields in light/energy propagation?

Electromagnetic fields play a crucial role in the propagation of light/energy. As light/energy travels, it creates an oscillating electric and magnetic field perpendicular to each other. These fields are responsible for the transfer of energy from one point to another, allowing light/energy to propagate through space.

4. Why does light/energy not require a medium to propagate?

Unlike sound, which requires a medium to travel through, light/energy does not require a medium to propagate. This is because light/energy is a form of electromagnetic radiation, which can travel through a vacuum. The oscillating electric and magnetic fields created by light/energy are self-sustaining and do not need a medium to travel through.

5. How does the propagation of light/energy relate to the wave-particle duality of light?

The propagation of light/energy can be explained through the wave-particle duality of light. Light/energy exhibits both wave-like and particle-like behavior. As a wave, light/energy propagates through space, creating interference patterns and exhibiting diffraction. As a particle, light/energy travels in a straight line at a constant speed, interacting with matter through absorption and emission events.