Calculate UV and IR Photon Energy: 320nm & 5000nm Wavelengths

In summary, the energy associated with a UV photon with a wavelength of 320 nm is 6.22 x 10-19Joules and the energy associated with an IR photon with a wavelength of 5000 nm is 3.98 x 10-20Joules. These energies can cause different effects, with the UV photon being able to break chemical bonds while the IR photon can only cause vibrations in the bonds.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A UV photon can break chemical bonds, but an IR photon can only cause vibration in the bonds. Calculate the energy associated with these processes by assuming a wavelength of 320 nm for the UV photon and a wavelength of 5000 nm for the IR photon.

I got...

UV photon: E = 6.22 x 10-19Joules

IR photon: E = 3.98 x 10-20Joules

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
A UV photon can break chemical bonds, but an IR photon can only cause vibration in the bonds. Calculate the energy associated with these processes by assuming a wavelength of 320 nm for the UV photon and a wavelength of 5000 nm for the IR photon.

I got...

UV photon: E = 6.22 x 10-19Joules

IR photon: E = 3.98 x 10-20Joules

Thanks!

It looks OK.

Thanks, ehild! I wasn't sure I remembered how to do those correctly.

1. How do I calculate energy?

To calculate energy, you need to know the mass of the object and its speed. The formula for calculating energy is E= 1/2 mv^2, where E is energy, m is mass, and v is velocity.

2. What is the unit of energy?

The unit of energy is joules (J). Other common units of energy include kilojoules (kJ) and calories (cal).

3. How do I check my energy calculation?

To check your energy calculation, make sure you have correctly plugged in the values into the formula and that you are using the correct units. You can also use an online energy calculator or ask a colleague to double-check your work.

4. Can energy be negative?

Yes, energy can be negative. This typically occurs when the object is losing energy, such as in a decelerating motion or during energy conversions.

5. What are some real-life applications of energy calculation?

Energy calculation is used in many real-life applications, such as determining the energy needed to power a car, calculating the energy output of a power plant, and measuring the energy efficiency of appliances. It is also used in physics experiments and in understanding the energy transfer in everyday scenarios, such as a ball rolling down a hill.