A fixed cannon is to fire a projectile at a tank

In summary, the problem involves a fixed cannon firing at a tank moving towards it at 40 mph. The muzzle speed of the projectile is 1000 mph and the cannon is to fire when the tank is 8 miles away. The solution involves using the equations of acceleration and initial conditions to determine the firing angle. However, in order to eliminate time from the equations, the relationship between velocity and time in the x direction and between initial velocity and acceleration in the y direction must be considered.
esmmajor
1. Problem Statement:
A fixed cannon is to fire a projectile at a tank moving toward the cannon at 40 mph. If the cannon is to fire at the moment the tank is 8 miles from the cannon, and the muzzle speed of the projectile is 1000 mph what is the correct equation to determine the firing angle?2. Homework Equations :
Acceleration of gravity: 79000 m/h^23. Solution Attempt:

Initial conditions:
r=<8-40t,0>
v=<1000*cos(theta), 1000*sin(theta)>

started with:
acceleration_projectile=<0,-g>
<0,-79000.
velocity (took integral and used initial conditions to come up with constants)
v=<1000*cos(theta), -79000t+1000*sin(theta)>

position:
r=<1000*cos(theta)*t+t-40t, -79000t^2/2+1000*sin(theta)t>

**The answer I'm supposed to get is (3.16*cos(theta)+0.127)*sin(theta)=1

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, esmmajor.
Well, you are right for every step. Except that, at some point, you want to eliminate t.
My personal suggestion would be:
in x direction, how would you relate the velocity of the particle to the time and distance?
and in y direction, how are you going to relate the initial velocity to the acceleration and time?
And finally, are these two time t, equal?
Have an idea of how to eliminate the t?

Dear scientist,

Thank you for providing your solution attempt for the given problem statement. However, I believe there may be some errors in your calculations. The correct equation to determine the firing angle is as follows:

sin(theta) = (1000*t - 40)/(sqrt(1000^2 + (79000*t)^2))

Where t is the time in hours since the tank passes the cannon. This equation is derived from the projectile motion equations, taking into account the horizontal and vertical components of the velocity and the acceleration due to gravity.

I would also like to point out that the acceleration due to gravity is typically measured in m/s^2, not m/h^2 as stated in the homework equations.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

1. What is variable acceleration?

Variable acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It can either increase or decrease depending on the object's motion and the forces acting upon it.

2. How is variable acceleration different from constant acceleration?

Variable acceleration differs from constant acceleration in that the rate of change in velocity is not constant. With variable acceleration, the object's velocity is changing at different rates throughout its motion, whereas with constant acceleration, the rate of change in velocity remains the same.

3. What factors can cause variable acceleration?

Variable acceleration can be caused by various factors such as changes in the force acting on an object, changes in the object's mass, or changes in the direction of the object's motion.

4. How is variable acceleration calculated?

Variable acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

5. What are some real-life examples of variable acceleration?

Real-life examples of variable acceleration include a car accelerating and decelerating in traffic, a roller coaster going up and down hills, and a sprinter running a race. Any object that experiences changes in velocity over time is experiencing variable acceleration.