Force required to overcome conveyor PLI belt tension?

In summary, to determine the force required to overcome conveyor PLI belt tension, you will need to calculate the total force required to move the material along the belt, considering the coefficient of friction and the tension of the belt.
Scoots6
Force required to overcome conveyor PLI belt tension?

I'm designing a conveyor. A very large one i might add. The conveyor has 3 rolls, one driven and 2 idlers. (kind of shaped like a right triangle)
There is of course a belt (103.5" wide) tensioned at 15PLI. So I know that there are 1552.5lbs of tension across the idler face. Side "A" of the roll is fixed with a spherical roller bearing while side "B" also has a spherical roller bearing but that bearing is mounted on a linear bearing and guide. This is going to allow tram adjustment of the roll to steer the conveyor belt if it decides to walk off.
My concern is determining the amount of force required to HOLD, PUSH, and PULL side "B" of the roll. Given the values I know above, what formula/formulas do I need?
Am I making this much more complicated than it really is?
Please help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The force required to overcome the belt tension will depend on the coefficient of friction of the material being moved by the conveyor belt. This coefficient of friction is a measure of how much force is needed to keep the material moving. Generally, higher coefficients of friction require more force to move the material. Therefore, you would need to calculate the total force required to move the material along the conveyor belt, taking into account the coefficient of friction of the material and the tension of the conveyor belt.

FAQ 1: What is the purpose of calculating the force required to overcome conveyor PLI belt tension?

The force required to overcome conveyor PLI belt tension is an important factor in designing and maintaining a conveyor system. It helps determine the motor size and power needed to move the materials efficiently, and also ensures the safety and durability of the conveyor belt.

FAQ 2: How is the force required to overcome conveyor PLI belt tension calculated?

The force required to overcome conveyor PLI belt tension is calculated by multiplying the belt tension (in pounds per inch or PLI) by the belt width (in inches) and the coefficient of friction between the belt and the pulley. This calculation can be further adjusted for factors such as the weight of the conveyed materials and the angle of the conveyor.

FAQ 3: What affects the force required to overcome conveyor PLI belt tension?

The force required to overcome conveyor PLI belt tension can be affected by various factors, such as the weight and type of materials being conveyed, the speed and length of the conveyor, the angle of the conveyor, and the condition of the belt and pulleys.

FAQ 4: How can the force required to overcome conveyor PLI belt tension be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce the force required to overcome conveyor PLI belt tension, such as using a wider belt, increasing the angle of the conveyor, using idlers to support the belt, or decreasing the weight of the conveyed materials. Proper maintenance and lubrication of the belt and pulleys can also help reduce the force needed.

FAQ 5: What are the consequences of not properly calculating the force required to overcome conveyor PLI belt tension?

If the force required to overcome conveyor PLI belt tension is not properly calculated, it can result in inefficient conveyor operation, motor overload and failure, excessive wear and tear on the belt and pulleys, and potential safety hazards. It is important to accurately calculate this force to ensure the smooth and safe operation of the conveyor system.