Empircal composition question

• Thread starter limofunder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Composition
In summary: Do the same with the remaining components, add the masses of oxygen together, express it as percentage of the total mass.In summary, the conversation discussed calculating the percent composition of oxygen in a compound with a known composition of SiO2, Na2, K2O, and PbO. The individual components were converted to moles and then added together, resulting in a percentage above 100%. The correct approach is to calculate the grams of each component and the corresponding grams of oxygen, then add them together and express the total as a percentage of the compound's total mass.
limofunder

Homework Statement

I am running an experiment in which I have a compound of SiO2 Na2 K2O PbO I am trying to figure out the percent composition of oxygen given that the percent composition of the compound is:
46% SiO2
5% Na2
4% K2O
and 45% PbO

Homework Equations

46% SiO2
5% Na2
4% K2O
and 45% PbO

The Attempt at a Solution

So I figured given the previous percentages, the compound is made of
[tex] .46 SiO_2 * \frac{2 mol O }{1 mol SiO_2} + .04 K_2O * \frac{1 mol O}{1 mol K_2O} + .45 PbO * \frac{1 mol O}{1 mol PbO} = .46*2+.04+.45 = 1.41 [/tex]

but this gives me 141% oxygen composition, what am I doing wrong here? Its been a while since I took general chem (about 3 years ago) and my stoichiometry is not at its best right now.
[

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
would it be more correct to say that the percent composition of oxygen is:

[tex] 0.46* \frac{2}{3}O + .04* \frac{1}{2}O+ 0.45* \frac{1}{2}O [/tex]
= .5516 = 55.2%?

or would it be easier if I do the calculation by breaking it down into atomic masses, add the total of oxygen mass divided by the total mass of the compound?

thanks fellas, once again, couldn't have done it without yall.

limofunder said:
[tex] .46 SiO_2 * \frac{2 mol O }{1 mol SiO_2} + .04 K_2O * \frac{1 mol O}{1 mol K_2O} + .45 PbO * \frac{1 mol O}{1 mol PbO} = .46*2+.04+.45 = 1.41 [/tex]

but this gives me 141% oxygen composition, what am I doing wrong here?

You are adding apples and oranges. Each of these oxides contains different amount of oxygen (mass of oxygen per mass of the oxide), you can't add them this way. As you have already (and correctly) noticed, that gives idiotic results (percentage above 100%).

Your last approach is correct. Think this way: SiO2 is 46% of the substance. Assume you start with 100 g of the substance. How many grams of SiO2? How many grams of O in these grams of SiO2? (That's where the molar masses come into play).

What is an empirical composition question?

An empirical composition question is a type of research question that seeks to understand the relationship between different variables by collecting and analyzing data from real-world observations or experiments.

What makes a good empirical composition question?

A good empirical composition question should be specific, measurable, and testable. It should also be based on a clear hypothesis and have a well-defined population and sample.

How do you design an experiment for an empirical composition question?

The first step in designing an experiment for an empirical composition question is to clearly define the research question and hypothesis. Then, you must identify the independent and dependent variables and select appropriate methods for data collection and analysis. It is also important to consider potential confounding variables and control for them in the experiment.

What is the difference between qualitative and quantitative data in relation to an empirical composition question?

Qualitative data refers to non-numerical data that is collected through observations, interviews, or open-ended survey questions. Quantitative data, on the other hand, refers to numerical data that can be measured and analyzed using statistical methods. Both types of data can be used in an empirical composition question, but they serve different purposes in the research process.

How do you analyze data for an empirical composition question?

The specific methods for analyzing data in an empirical composition question will depend on the type of data collected and the research question. Generally, data is organized and summarized using descriptive statistics, and then hypothesis testing is used to determine if there is a significant relationship between variables. Other methods such as regression analysis or factor analysis may also be used depending on the research question.