Solve Equation: x = tB + (1-t)A

• Thread starter frogtag
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sorting
In summary: B- A. So divide both sides by B- A. That will get t by itself.In summary, the conversation discusses rearranging an equation to isolate the variable t. The equation is x = tB + (1-t)A and the goal is to get t on its own. The conversation provides several steps and hints, such as expanding brackets and using the rule of factoring, to reach the final solution of t = (B - A) / (x - A).
frogtag
Can anyone help me rearrange this equation so that t is isolated please, it's driving me nuts.

x = tB + (1 - t)A

all I can seem to do so far is isolate one of the t's...

x - (1-t)A = tB

x - (1-t)A
---------- = t
B

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Have a hint:
Expand the brackets...

If you are still stuck, show us what you have done so far.

If it is a homework question its about 16 years late! No it's just been a very long time since my A-levels and having 2 separate t variables is throwing me. But I'll have a go and post my failure in a bit!

Okay ...

x = tB + (1-t)A

x - tB = (1-t)A or x - tB = A(1-t)

x - tB = 1A - tA

x - tB = A - tA

Not much so far...?

The key is to get everything with the variable you want onto one side, and everything else on the other.

How can you manipulate that equation to get the t's onto one side? How can you "fuse" the t's together? How can you get rid of the rest?

Quick clue ... is this going to be a quadratic?

As Treebeard said: DON'T BE HASTY!

Do NOT move over the tB term as fast as you have done..

No, it won't be a quadratic... There are no exponents involved

frogtag said:
Okay ...

x = tB + (1-t)A

x - tB = (1-t)A or x - tB = A(1-t)

x - tB = 1A - tA

x - tB = A - tA

Not much so far...?
Add tB to both sides then subtract A from both sides.

I have got that far already, used...

t = 0.5, A = 2.0 & B = 3.0 to prove it,

x = tB + (1-t)A
x = 0.5 x 3.0 + (1 - 0.5) x 2.0
x = 1.5 + (0.5) x 2.0
x = 1.5 + 1.0
x = 2.5

then expanded the brackets,

x = tB + 1A - tA
x = tB + A - tA
x = 0.5 x 3.0 + 2.0 - 0.5 x 2.0
x = 1.5 + 2.0 - 1.0
x = 2.5

then moved bits around,

x - A = tB - tA
2.5 - 2.0 = 0.5 x 3.0 - 0.5 x 2.0
0.5 = 1.5 - 1.0
0.5 = 0.5

maths all seems good, now just working on how to get t on own...

B - A
----- = x - A
t

(B - A) / t = x - A
(3.0-2.0) / 0.5 = 2.5 - 2.0
1.0 / 0.5 = 0.5
0.5 = 0.5

That works...

t = (B - A) / (x - A) ?

[tex]x - tB = A - tA[/tex]

look back at this step, and like has already been said, get all the parts with t onto one side, and all the other stuff on the other side. i.e. Add tB and subtract A from both sides (or equivalently, add tA and subtract x from both sides)

Now, use the rule of factoring. The factoring is the opposite to expanding (so, putting the variables back into brackets).

frogtag said:
t = (B - A) / (x - A) ?

You're close, but not quite right.

From x - A = tB - tA you have x- A= (B- A)t.

Since t is multiplied by B- A on the right side, you get t alone by doing the opposite of multiplying

1. What does the equation x = tB + (1-t)A represent?

The equation x = tB + (1-t)A represents a linear combination of two variables, t and A and B. It is commonly used in mathematics and physics to represent a point on a line or a plane.

2. How do I solve for x in the equation x = tB + (1-t)A?

To solve for x in this equation, you need to isolate it on one side of the equation. First, distribute the t to both B and A, then combine like terms. Finally, solve for x by dividing both sides by the coefficient of x. The final equation will be x = (B - A)t + A.

3. Can this equation be solved for multiple values of x?

Yes, this equation can be solved for multiple values of x. Since there are two variables, t and A and B, there are infinite solutions for x. Each combination of t, A, and B will result in a different value for x.

4. What is the significance of the variable t in this equation?

The variable t represents the weight or proportion of B in the linear combination. It ranges from 0 to 1, where 0 represents only A and 1 represents only B. Any value between 0 and 1 will result in a point on the line or plane between A and B.

5. How is the equation x = tB + (1-t)A used in real-life applications?

This equation is commonly used in fields such as economics, engineering, and physics to represent a point on a line or plane. It can be used to model various scenarios, such as calculating the average of two values, finding the break-even point in business, or determining the trajectory of a projectile.