Calculating Centre of Mass for Connected Masses: Exploring Ratios and Distances

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the center of mass for a system of two masses connected by a rod. The first part of the question involved finding the ratio of the masses, which was successfully solved. The second part involves finding the distance from one of the masses to the center of mass in terms of the length of the rod. The solution is more complicated than simply L/2 due to the difference in masses. The conversation concludes with a helpful explanation of how to solve for this distance using the concept of torques.
WY
Hello

I was given a question of 2 masses m_a and m_b whos centres of L distance apart and are connected by a massless rod (so it kind of looks like a dumb-bell). Each ball through its centre has an axis perpendicular to the rod (axiz a and b respectively) and each has a moment of inertia, I_a and I_b respectively. And it is also fiven that the ratio of I_a to I_b equals three.

Okay I worked out the ratio of the masses of the two balls which was the first part of the question and that came out okay, and then the second part looked way to simple and I can't seem to dig up another answer:
b) Find d_a, the distance from ball A to the system's center of mass (Express in terms of L, length of the rod)
is it just L/2 or is it acutally more complicated than this?

Can someone help me out ? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the two masses are not the same- yes, it's more complicated than that! Imagine trying to support this "dumbbell" by holding at its center of mass- you will need to grip it closer to the heavier weight.

One way to calculate the center of mass is to use the "torques"- twisting force- around that point: Take xm to be the distance from A to the center of mass. Mass A causes a "twisting" equal to its weight times that distance: maxm. Mass B is L- xm from the center of mass and so causes a "twisting" of mb/sub]xm.
Since those masses are on opposite sides of the center of mass, those twists are in opposite directions- and since, by definition, there is no "twist" about the center of mass, they must be equal so that they offset: maxm= mb(L- xm).
Moments of inertia are proportional to mass so "ratio of I_a to I_b equals three" tells you that mb= 3ma That means your equation is maxm= 3ma(L- xm). Notice that the ma terms cancel out. Solve that equation for xm.

Hey thanks for that!
That makes much more sense now!

1. What is the centre of mass and why is it important?

The centre of mass is the point at which an object's mass is evenly distributed. It is important because it helps determine an object's stability and how it will respond to external forces.

2. How is the centre of mass calculated?

The centre of mass can be calculated by finding the average position of all the particles that make up the object, taking into account their mass and distance from a reference point.

3. Can the centre of mass be outside of an object?

Yes, the centre of mass can be outside of an object if the object has an irregular shape and its mass is distributed unevenly.

4. How does the centre of mass affect the stability of an object?

The lower the centre of mass is in an object, the more stable it will be. This is because more of the mass is closer to the ground, making it harder to topple over.

5. What factors can affect the centre of mass?

The centre of mass can be affected by changes in an object's shape, size, and distribution of mass. It can also be affected by external forces, such as gravity and applied forces.