Can Thread Subscriptions Be Reset for All Users When Applying a Patch to PF?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, if you want to unsubscribe from a thread, you need to find it in your user cp and click the "edit options" link and uncheck the "subscribe to threads as replies" box.
In order to apply a patch to PF the thread subscriptions setting were defaulted for everyone. Please goto your usercp and and change it to whatever you had before.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the warning, one question though. Are we no longer allowed to have more than 15 posts per page?

Thanks for the explanation. I was just about to ask why I was subscribed to a thread automatically.

For anyone who needs extra help finding how to turn it off, go to the menu up on the top right and select User CP. Once viewing that, look on the left side menu, and select edit options. Once there, scroll about mid-way down, and you'll see a drop-down menu that allows you to choose how to manage subscriptions when you reply to a thread. Choose whatever setting you previously had or now prefer.

Last edited:
Ack! I'm being subscribed to everything I'm posting in! Nooooo.

Why can't I find the option to select "not subscribe"? I can only unsubscribe.

HELP ME MAKE IT STOP!

Last edited:
Halfway down the "edit options" --- on the right-hand side you'll find "instant e-mail notification." That's the where you say, "No."

Thanks, found it, I was skipping over it. I don't need 2,000 e-mails in my inbox. :bugeye:

It might not be working; I reset the option to "Do not subscribe" and that's what it still is, and though I haven't gotten any emails, in the usercp I'm still getting new subscribed threads. Is it just me?

rachmaninoff said:
It might not be working; I reset the option to "Do not subscribe" and that's what it still is, and though I haven't gotten any emails, in the usercp I'm still getting new subscribed threads. Is it just me?
It's just you. :biggrin:

It's working, but you need to "unsubscribe" to any threads you were subscribed to prior to changing your settings. It does not automatically unsubscribe you to previously subscribed threads, it just doesn't subscribe you to any going forward.

Greg Bernhardt said:
In order to apply a patch to PF the thread subscriptions setting were defaulted for everyone. Please goto your usercp and and change it to whatever you had before.
I think you should really do something about this. The fact that everyone has "Default Thread Subscription Mode" set to "Instant email notification" is almost like spamming and I think it will annoy many (new) members.
That one has to find this thread in order to find out how to get rid of this intrusive behavior is a bit too much, I think. The default behavior should be not to bother you with anything you did not ask for.

gerben said:
I think you should really do something about this. The fact that everyone has "Default Thread Subscription Mode" set to "Instant email notification" is almost like spamming and I think it will annoy many (new) members.
That one has to find this thread in order to find out how to get rid of this intrusive behavior is a bit too much, I think. The default behavior should be not to bother you with anything you did not ask for.
I would have to agree with you on this one. Greg, is there any way to change what the default setting is so that people are not automatically subscribed to threads unless they actively choose that option? That seems like the option the least number of people would like to use...how many people really want to be subscribed to EVERY thread they've posted a reply in? I would think that even those who use subscriptions would want to be selective in subscribing.

Perhaps we need an announcemnt like the 1 for the forum guidlines. I mean everyone who log in, should be automatically switched to this thread.

What is "Thread Subscriptions Reset"?

"Thread Subscriptions Reset" refers to the process of clearing all subscribed threads on a platform or forum. This means that all notifications for new activity on those threads will be reset and users will need to manually resubscribe if they wish to continue receiving notifications.

Why do thread subscriptions need to be reset?

Thread subscriptions may need to be reset for various reasons, such as server maintenance or updates to the forum software. This ensures that all subscribed threads are up-to-date and any bugs or glitches in the subscription system are fixed.

Will I lose all my subscribed threads if a reset occurs?

Yes, all subscribed threads will be cleared during a reset. However, you can manually resubscribe to those threads afterwards if you wish to continue receiving notifications.

How often should thread subscriptions be reset?

The frequency of thread subscription resets varies depending on the platform or forum. Some may reset them on a regular schedule, while others may only do so when necessary. It is best to check the forum's guidelines or ask a moderator for more information.

Is there a way to prevent thread subscriptions from being reset?

No, thread subscriptions will be reset regardless of user preferences. However, you can manually resubscribe to your preferred threads after the reset occurs.