Solve Geometry Exercise - Who is Smart?

In summary, the conversation discusses a math problem involving proving two propositions, one about lengthening a chord on a circle and the other about similar triangles. The solution involves using the fact that a chord subtends equal angles at any point on the circumference and that the angle at the center is twice the angle at the circumference. It also includes a non-geometric proof using coordinate systems. The conversation also mentions attachments and pending approval for a solution provided by a user.
shirel
It is a nice question.
It has a few different kinds of proofes.

targil.gif

win.PNG

So who is smart here? :wink:

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
While I don't claim to be 'smart', I am at least knowledgeable enough to recognize that this has nothing to do with "Tensor Analysis and Differential Geometry". I am moving this thread to "General Math".

Clearly, neither propositions is true. For example, you can lengthen EO by moving A and B up the circle a bit without changing DC. There's no relationship between them at all.

Moo Of Doom said:
Clearly, neither propositions is true. For example, you can lengthen EO by moving A and B up the circle a bit without changing DC. There's no relationship between them at all.

How do you do that, without changing angles BTC and DTC? (From the figure, I'm assuming ATC and BTD are straight lines, though it doesn't explicitly say that).

Proof: join A, B, C, D to O, then use the facts that a chord subtends equal angles at any point on the circumference, and the angle at the centre is twice the angle at the circumference, to get lots of similar triangles.

Thanks...
I just couldn't find which triangles are similar..

Last edited:
AlephZero said:
How do you do that, without changing angles BTC and DTC? (From the figure, I'm assuming ATC and BTD are straight lines, though it doesn't explicitly say that).

Haha, I read that ATC=BTD < 90 for some reason. I think all those angle symbols got me dyslexic. The picture didn't help correct this misreading.

shirel said:
Thanks...
I just couldn't find which triangles are similar..

See attachement.
1. The angle at the bottom right is 45 by symmetry (the angles at point T are 90).
2. The angle at the centre is twice 45 = 90.
3. The two angles [itex]\alpha[/itex] are equal
4 The two lengths are both [itex]R \sin \alpha[/itex] where R is the radius of the circle.

Attachments

• geom.gif
    geom.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 449
I haven't seen alephzero's solution yet because it's still "pending approval".

I looked at this problem and realized that if you can prove that the mid point of OT is also the mid-point of EF then the rest was trivial. But then I couldn't seem to see an easy geometric proof for that mid-point result. I did however find a very easy analytic proof of this.

What happened to that Aleph's attachment, it seems to have spent a very long time (several days) "pending approval.

Anyway I may as well post my non-geometric proof.

Lets assume we have already done the basics and shown that angle ATE equals angle BTE equals 45 degrees. (Radius bisects chord therefore triangles ATE and BTE are congruent etc).

1. Take a coordinate reference at "O", with x-axis parallel to AB.

2. Denote the distance OT as a. The midpoint of OT is clearly (0,a/2).

3. The system is similar to one with circle having equation x^2 + y^2 = 1 and line DE having equation y = x + a.

4. The coordinates of "D" and "E" are therefore given by the simultaneous solutions of equation set :

x^2 + y^2 = 1 and y = x + a

5. Solving the above for "y" gives :

y^2 - ay - (1- a^2)/2 = 0

y1, y2 = a/2 +/- sqrt(...)

6. Clearly (y1+y1)/2 = a/2, so the midpoint of OT is coincident with the midpoint of EF.

That's pretty much it. From there it's fairly trivial to show that length OF equals length ET equals one half of length AB.

Last edited:

Related to Solve Geometry Exercise - Who is Smart?

1. What is the definition of a "smart" person in terms of geometry?

A "smart" person in terms of geometry is someone who has a strong understanding of geometric concepts and is able to apply them to solve complex problems. This includes having excellent spatial reasoning skills, being able to visualize and manipulate shapes, and having a deep understanding of geometric principles and formulas.

2. How can I improve my geometry skills and become smarter in this subject?

To improve your geometry skills, it is important to practice regularly and consistently. This can include solving a variety of exercises and problems, as well as studying and reviewing key concepts and formulas. It may also be helpful to seek out additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, to supplement your learning.

3. Are there any specific strategies or techniques for solving geometry exercises?

Yes, there are several strategies and techniques that can be helpful for solving geometry exercises. These include breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts, drawing diagrams or using visual aids to better understand the problem, and looking for patterns or relationships between different elements of the problem. It is also important to carefully read and understand the given information before attempting to solve the problem.

4. Is it important to memorize all the formulas in geometry to be considered "smart" in this subject?

While memorizing formulas can be helpful, it is not the only factor that determines one's intelligence in geometry. It is important to understand the concepts and principles behind the formulas, and to be able to apply them in different situations. Additionally, being able to think critically and problem-solve is also crucial in geometry, rather than simply relying on memorization.

5. How can I use geometry in real life?

Geometry has many practical applications in everyday life. For example, it is used in architecture and construction to design buildings and structures, in engineering to create models and blueprints, and in art and design to create visually appealing compositions. Additionally, geometry is also used in navigation, mapmaking, and even in fields such as astronomy and physics to understand the world around us.