Solving for Velocity of Particle in 2D Plane

In summary, the problem involves two forces, vector F1 = (3i - 2j) N and vector F2 = (4i - 7j) N, acting on a particle of mass 1.70 kg that is initially at rest at coordinates (-1.70 m, +4.25 m). The components of the velocity at 9.4 seconds are (38.7i - 49.7647j)m/s and the direction of the particle's movement at 9.4 seconds is 307.87 degrees. Using a standard constant acceleration equation, the correct solution is (363.78i - 467.788j)m.
PeterFer

Homework Statement

Two forces, vector F 1 = (3 i - 2 j) N and vector F 2 = (4 i - 7 j) N, act on a particle of mass 1.70 kg that is initially at rest at coordinates (-1.70 m, +4.25 m).

i know that the components of the velocity at 9.4 seconds are (38.7i - 49.7647j)m/s
i also know that the direction the particle is moving at 9.4 seconds is 307.87 degrees

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

some how everything I do brings me to (363.78i - 467.788j)m which is wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi PeterFer! Welcome to PF! :smile:

You don't need, and shouldn't use, the final velocity …

(it's misled you into using s = vt)

just use one of the standard constant acceleration equations

(and don't forget to add on the initial position). :wink:

ah yea thank you, i ended up realizing that myself but thank you anyway

1. What is the formula for calculating velocity of a particle in a 2D plane?

The formula for calculating velocity in a 2D plane is v = √(vx^2 + vy^2), where vx and vy represent the x and y components of the velocity respectively.

2. How do you determine the direction of the velocity vector in a 2D plane?

The direction of the velocity vector in a 2D plane can be determined by using the trigonometric functions sine and cosine. The angle of the velocity vector can be found using θ = tan-1(vy/vx).

3. Can you solve for the velocity of a particle with only the position and time data?

No, in order to solve for the velocity of a particle in a 2D plane, you need both the position and time data as well as the acceleration data. This is because the velocity is the derivative of the position with respect to time and the acceleration is the derivative of the velocity with respect to time.

4. How does the velocity of a particle change when it is in a 2D plane?

The velocity of a particle in a 2D plane can change in both magnitude and direction. This is because the particle can accelerate in either the x or y direction, or both simultaneously, resulting in changes to its velocity vector.

5. Are there any real-world applications of solving for velocity in a 2D plane?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for solving for velocity in a 2D plane. Some examples include analyzing the motion of projectiles, calculating the velocity of objects in a fluid, and determining the speed and direction of a vehicle in motion.