Coming up with the critical density formula

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of critical density in relation to a galaxy with mass m at a distance r away from the center of a sphere. By balancing the kinetic energy of the galaxy's Hubble flow with its gravitational energy and assuming a density equal to the critical density within the sphere, an expression for the critical density is derived. However, there are some errors in the attempt at solving for the critical density, including using (M-m) instead of just M and not properly simplifying the expression.
makosheva7

Homework Statement

"Imagine a galaxy with mass m at a distance r away from the center of a sphere, within
which a total mass M reside. As viewed by an observer in the center,
the galaxy appears to be receding according to the Hubble's law, v = H0r. To heuristically derive the critical density m0, we associate a kinetic energy to the galaxy's Hubble
ow, symbolically,1/2 mv^2, and balance this against its gravitational energy. If the density in the sphere is equal to the critical density, the total binding energy (kinetic plus gravitational) is zero. Show that this yields the following expression for the critical density."

Homework Equations

What am I doing wrong in my process to find the critical density formula based on the given information?

The Attempt at a Solution

My logic is:
1/2(M-m)v^2 = GMm/r
So using v = H0r and the volume of a sphere, I plug density(volume of sphere) into M-m, and H0r into v.
after doing this, my solution looks like this.
density = GMm/2∏r^6H0^2
I can't figure out the next step.

Physics news on Phys.org
makosheva7 said:

Homework Statement

"Imagine a galaxy with mass m at a distance r away from the center of a sphere, within
which a total mass M reside. As viewed by an observer in the center,
the galaxy appears to be receding according to the Hubble's law, v = H0r. To heuristically derive the critical density m0, we associate a kinetic energy to the galaxy's Hubble
ow, symbolically,1/2 mv^2, and balance this against its gravitational energy. If the density in the sphere is equal to the critical density, the total binding energy (kinetic plus gravitational) is zero. Show that this yields the following expression for the critical density."

Homework Equations

What am I doing wrong in my process to find the critical density formula based on the given information?

The Attempt at a Solution

My logic is:
1/2(M-m)v^2 = GMm/r
So using v = H0r and the volume of a sphere, I plug density(volume of sphere) into M-m, and H0r into v.
after doing this, my solution looks like this.
density = GMm/2∏r^6H0^2
I can't figure out the next step.

For one thing the kinetic energy of the galaxy is mv^2/2. I don't know why you are using (M-m). For another I would plug density(volume of sphere) into M. After that you really need to straighten up your algebra. Show you you got what you got.

1. What is the critical density formula?

The critical density formula, also known as the critical mass-energy formula, is an equation derived from Einstein's theory of general relativity that describes the relationship between mass and energy. It is expressed as E=mc², where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light in a vacuum.

2. How was the critical density formula discovered?

The critical density formula was first derived by Albert Einstein in 1905 as part of his special theory of relativity. It was later incorporated into his more comprehensive theory of general relativity in 1915. The formula was then further studied and refined by various scientists, including Max Planck and Henri Poincaré.

3. What is the significance of the critical density formula?

The critical density formula is significant because it explains the relationship between mass and energy, which has major implications in understanding the nature of the universe. It also plays a crucial role in the study of cosmology and the understanding of the expansion and evolution of the universe.

4. How is the critical density formula used in scientific research?

The critical density formula is used in various fields of science, including astrophysics, particle physics, and nuclear physics. It is used to calculate the energy released in nuclear reactions, understand the behavior of particles at high speeds, and study the properties of black holes and other celestial objects.

5. Are there any limitations to the critical density formula?

While the critical density formula is a fundamental equation in physics, it does have some limitations. It does not account for the effects of gravity on a large scale, such as those observed in galaxies and clusters of galaxies. It also does not explain the behavior of particles at the quantum level, which requires the use of other theories such as quantum mechanics.