What planets were ancient people able to see in the sky without telescopes?

In summary, ancient people found entertainment in watching the sky without the interference of city lights. The Milky Way, meteors, and the five naked-eye planets were of special interest to them. However, with the advancement of technology and the popularity of TV, people nowadays may not notice these natural wonders as much. Interestingly, the planet Uranus was not visible to the ancients and was only discovered with the use of a telescope. Additionally, the build-up of meteors on a TV screen is a humorous thought, but the small number of tube meteors is actually evidence of a young Earth.
scott1
April 11, 2006: Ancient people didn't have TV or electric lights. So, when the sun went down every night, they got their entertainment by watching the sky. And it was entertaining. Without city lights to interfere, the Milky Way was spectacular. Meteors flitted across the sky. Zodiacal lights chased the sunset.

Of special interest were the five naked-eye planets, the ones you could see without a telescope. (The ancients didn't have telescopes, either.) Countless hours were spent watching Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn, whose movements were thought to control the affairs of men.
This is the on planet that Ancients haven't seen(and I have never seen).

Astronomy news on Phys.org
That's interesting.. Thank goodness for TV! But if I were around then it would be awesome to see the stuff (relatively) plus there wouldn't be all that light pollution.

We probably have just as many meteors nowadays too, but nobody notices them because they're glued to the TV.

Mental Gridlock said:
We probably have just as many meteors nowadays too, but nobody notices them because they're glued to the TV.
I've had some glued to my TV and they're quite noticeable after a while. Removal is simple with a clean cloth and some Windex.

Of special interest were the five naked-eye planets, the ones you could see without a telescope. (The ancients didn't have telescopes, either.) Countless hours were spent watching Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn, ...
Interestingly, the Georgian Planet (Uranus...which I presume is what you are hinting at in your topic name) is barely visible if you have very clear skies & keen eyesight...but it wasn't discovered until a telescope was used.

DaveC426913 said:
I've had some glued to my TV and they're quite noticeable after a while. Removal is simple with a clean cloth and some Windex.

Did you buy it that way or did they build up over time? HAHAHAHAHAHA okay so I wasn't thinking when I typed that.. Let me see if I can recall what I was trying to say.

Mental Gridlock said:
Did you buy it that way or did they build up over time?
The small number of tv tube meteors is proof of a young Earth.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/11apr_george.htm
sorry I didn't post before you'll be able to see it tonight
EDIT:sorry I got confused it will be this moring before dawn

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is "See Planet George from earth"?

"See Planet George from earth" is a phenomenon that occurs when the planet George is visible from Earth without the use of a telescope. This can happen during certain times of the year when the planet's orbit brings it closer to Earth.

2. How far is Planet George from Earth?

The distance between Planet George and Earth varies depending on where the two planets are in their respective orbits. On average, Planet George is approximately 365 million miles away from Earth.

3. Can Planet George be seen with the naked eye?

Yes, under the right conditions, Planet George can be seen with the naked eye. It is typically visible as a bright, reddish dot in the night sky.

4. What causes Planet George to be visible from Earth?

Planet George is visible from Earth due to a combination of factors, including its distance from Earth, its size, and its reflectivity. When these factors align, the planet can be seen from Earth without the use of a telescope.

5. When is the best time to see Planet George from Earth?

The best time to see Planet George from Earth is during its opposition, when it is directly opposite the sun in the sky. This typically occurs once every 26 months, but the exact timing can vary slightly.