Time dilation experiments with spacecraft

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of measuring slower clock speeds in objects that are traveling at high speeds, such as the Voyagers. While there is no specific reference, the person speaking assumes that it has been done, but perhaps not extensively due to the scientists' focus on other data. However, the conversation also mentions several experiments, such as the Hafele-Keating and Scout rocket experiments, that have tested the effects of special and general relativity on clock speeds. Additionally, corrections have been made to account for these effects in everyday use, such as in GPS satellites. The most recent and precise detection of time dilation can be found in a 2003 study.
Phobos
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I assume this has been done, but I have not seen any papers on it. For example, with the Voyagers traveling at however-many-tens-of-thousands-of-mph with respect to us, we should be able to measure the slower tick of their internal clocks (e.g., slower signalling). Perhaps this hasn't been done since the scientists involved have better things to investigate with the Voyager data than to do basic Relativity. But I'm curious if it's been done.

Physics news on Phys.org
Haven't they done this with a clock in an airplane in the early days of SR? I read they did in a textbook. Excuse me for not having any precise reference for you.

quasar987 said:
Haven't they done this with a clock in an airplane in the early days of SR? I read they did in a textbook. Excuse me for not having any precise reference for you.
While I do not question slower clock speeds for a moment, later experiments found clear evidence, however the quality of the first experiment, the Hafele-Keating experiment, is barely higher than in the plainly embarrassing case in Principe of Eddington which measured the light curvature around the sun.

Last edited:
Phobos said:
I assume this has been done, but I have not seen any papers on it. For example, with the Voyagers traveling at however-many-tens-of-thousands-of-mph with respect to us, we should be able to measure the slower tick of their internal clocks (e.g., slower signalling). Perhaps this hasn't been done since the scientists involved have better things to investigate with the Voyager data than to do basic Relativity. But I'm curious if it's been done.

Yes, it is done daily, via the corrections that have been uploaded in the GPS sattelites. The clocks loaded on the GPS sattelites have been corrected prior to launch in order to account for both the SR time dilation, for the Sagnac effect, Doppler effect and for the GR frequency shift due to variable gravitational field. So, all these relativistic effects are being "tested" on a daily basis. See here:

http://relativity.livingreviews.org/Articles/lrr-2003-1/

Last edited by a moderator:
Phobos said:

I believe one of the more precise experiments was the "Scout rocket experiment". This was a test of general realtivity, though, rather than a test of special relativity. I

See for instance:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout_rocket_experiment

If you want a more recent, and most precise detection of time dilation so far, you may want to read this:

http://www.aip.org/enews/physnews/2003/split/655-2.html

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does time dilation work in space?

Time dilation occurs when an object is moving at high speeds or in strong gravitational fields, causing it to experience time at a slower rate compared to a stationary observer. This phenomenon is a result of Einstein's theory of relativity and has been proven through various experiments and observations.

2. What are some examples of time dilation experiments with spacecraft?

One of the most famous examples is the Hafele-Keating experiment in which atomic clocks were flown around the world in opposite directions and were found to have a difference in time when compared to a stationary clock. Another example is the use of atomic clocks on GPS satellites, which have to account for time dilation in order to provide accurate navigation.

3. How does time dilation affect the aging of astronauts?

Astronauts who spend extended periods of time in space, such as those on the International Space Station, experience time dilation which causes them to age slightly slower than people on Earth. This effect is very small and only becomes noticeable after spending significant amounts of time in space.

4. Can time dilation be observed on Earth?

Yes, time dilation can be observed on Earth in a variety of ways. For example, atomic clocks placed at different altitudes will have slight differences in time due to the varying strength of Earth's gravitational field. Also, high-speed particles in particle accelerators have been found to experience time dilation.

5. What are the practical applications of time dilation experiments with spacecraft?

The most significant practical application is in the field of GPS technology, where time dilation must be accounted for in order to provide accurate location data. Time dilation research also helps us better understand the effects of gravity and high speeds on time, which could potentially lead to new technologies such as time travel in the future.