Heating compressed air to provide lift

In summary, heating compressed air does not provide any lift on its own. In order for heated air to provide lift, it must have a lower density than the surrounding atmosphere, which would mean it is no longer compressed air.
dankelly08
Just a question about heating compressed air..

I know generally how hot air works.. You heat it and particles expand and creates lift.

So my question is, Does heating compressed air provide any lift? if so how much in relation to normal air?
eg
if I had 100m^3 of air heated to 120C,
would it provide the same lift as the (same amount) but now compressed air heated to 120C

Does this make sense? or have I missed the point...

Science news on Phys.org
No, it won't provide any lift at all. Compressed air is heavier than uncompressed air.

dankelly08 said:
Just a question about heating compressed air..

I know generally how hot air works.. You heat it and particles expand and creates lift.

So my question is, Does heating compressed air provide any lift? if so how much in relation to normal air?
eg
if I had 100m^3 of air heated to 120C,
would it provide the same lift as the (same amount) but now compressed air heated to 120C

Does this make sense? or have I missed the point...
In order to rise, the density of the air has to be less than the density of the surrounding atmosphere. Heating compressed air could provide lift if it was heated and allowed to expand so that its density was less than the surrounding atmosphere. But then it would not be compressed air. as Vanadium has pointed out.

AM

Ah I see, I misunderstood the concept of compressed air, thanks for your replies.

1. How does heating compressed air provide lift?

When air is compressed, its molecules are packed closer together, resulting in an increase in temperature. By heating this compressed air, the molecules gain more energy and move faster, causing an increase in air pressure. This increase in air pressure creates a force that can lift an object, such as an aircraft.

2. Why is heating compressed air used for lift instead of simply using hot air?

Heating compressed air instead of using hot air is more efficient because the compressed air is already at a higher pressure, which means it can lift more weight. Additionally, hot air alone does not have as much energy as compressed air, so it would not be as effective in providing lift.

3. Can any type of heating be used to provide lift?

Any type of heating can technically be used to provide lift, as long as it increases the temperature and pressure of the compressed air. However, for practical purposes, most aircraft use jet engines to compress and heat the air for lift.

4. What are the advantages of using heating compressed air for lift?

One of the main advantages of using heating compressed air for lift is that it allows for faster and more efficient takeoff. This is especially important for larger and heavier aircraft. Additionally, using heating compressed air allows for more precise control of the amount of lift, which is essential for safe and stable flight.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using heating compressed air for lift?

One potential drawback of using heating compressed air for lift is the added weight and complexity of the systems needed to compress and heat the air. This can increase the overall weight of the aircraft and thus impact fuel efficiency. Additionally, the high temperatures involved in heating compressed air can also lead to wear and tear on the aircraft's components.