IMO and Undergrad conflictions

• Thread starter tridianprime
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Undergrad
In summary, the individual is a 15-year-old who is interested in training for the IMO and learning undergraduate material at the same time. They have identified the books they need to cover for the IMO and are also interested in topics such as ODE, analysis, and linear algebra. They are concerned about the stress of getting into Cambridge and are unsure if they can balance training for both the IMO and IOI while also learning undergraduate material. They have been consistently successful in exams and are taking STEP in the winter. The individual also mentions having Asperger's and asks for respectful responses.
tridianprime
Hello, I was not sure quite where to post this but settles on here. I am a 15 year old and I am having an issue. I desperately want to train for the IMO and I know what material I need to cover and then ill do past problems and so forth. The books I intend to use to learn the material are G H Hardy for number theory, "a course in combinatorics" and some more. Are those appropriate?

However, I also want to carry on learning undergraduate material like ODE, analysis and linear algebra etc. will I be able to do both of these? I can work very long and I intend to.

There is one lost query. It has been a lifelong dream to go to trinity college cambridge an I can't imagine not going there. This causes a lot of stress because I know I have to prove myself to get in. It is not the reason for me to et to IMO, that's because I like maths, but I know it COULD be a decider. I also want to go to IOI. Will it be possible for me to train for both of these and learn undergrad material as well? How do I deal with the stress issue and the anxiety of not getting into cambridge?Note: I know I can easily get 3 A* at a level and get S, S on STEP as I have done so consistently on papers as am taking it in winter. Also, please don't tell me to stop looking so far ahead. I just want to get on with what I love doing. The reason I am having these issue is apparently because of my aspergers so please don't comment in sarcastic or unhelpful ways.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Just do your best, what more can one say?

Sorry, I should have given a more complete answer. I think you could definitely learn different topics at the same time. Sometimes it helps to have variety. Although you may find that you prefer to learn one thing at a time.

I can't say much about getting into Cambridge or not, except to say that you shouldn't get too hung up about it. Anything can happen between now and then, you might even find that you decide you don't want to go there.

Thank you, I thin ill start off with one topic and then try adding some other topics in. In terms of cambridge, I can understand what you are saying but i am very unlikely to change my mind.

Dear 15-year-old,

First of all, I want to commend you for your passion and dedication to mathematics. It is clear that you have a strong drive to excel in this field, and that is a valuable trait for any scientist.

Regarding your question about training for the IMO and learning undergraduate material at the same time, I want to assure you that it is possible. Many students have successfully balanced both, and it is certainly a worthwhile pursuit if you have the motivation and determination to do so. However, it is important to be realistic about your time and energy limitations. Make sure to prioritize your tasks and set realistic goals for yourself. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a mentor or teacher who can provide you with a personalized study plan.

In terms of the books you mentioned, G H Hardy's book on number theory is a classic and a great resource for preparing for the IMO. "A Course in Combinatorics" is also a highly recommended text for this competition. As for learning undergraduate material, it is important to choose books that are appropriate for your level and build a strong foundation before moving on to more advanced topics.

Your concern about getting into Trinity College Cambridge is understandable, but I want to remind you that there are many paths to success and there is no one "right" university for everyone. Focus on doing your best in your studies and the opportunities will come. And even if you don't get into Cambridge, there are many other great universities and opportunities for you to pursue your passion for mathematics.

Lastly, I want to address the stress and anxiety you may be feeling. It is important to take care of your mental and emotional well-being as well. Make sure to take breaks, engage in activities you enjoy, and seek support from friends, family, or a professional if needed. Remember that your worth is not determined by your academic achievements, and it is important to find a healthy balance in life.

Keep up the hard work and stay motivated, but also remember to take care of yourself. I wish you all the best in your academic journey.

Sincerely,

A fellow scientist

1. What is IMO and how does it differ from undergrad research?

IMO stands for International Mathematical Olympiad, which is an annual competition for high school students to showcase their mathematical abilities on an international level. Undergrad research, on the other hand, refers to research projects or studies conducted by undergraduate students at the university level.

2. Can undergrad students participate in IMO?

No, the IMO is only open to high school students. However, some universities may have teams that train and prepare high school students for the competition.

3. Are there any conflicts between IMO and undergrad studies?

Yes, there can be conflicts between participating in IMO and completing undergraduate studies. The rigorous training and preparation for IMO may require a significant amount of time and dedication, which could interfere with coursework and other academic responsibilities.

4. Is it worth it for undergrad students to participate in IMO?

It depends on the individual's goals and priorities. Participating in IMO can be a valuable experience and can enhance one's problem-solving and critical thinking skills. However, it may also require a significant time commitment and could potentially impact academic performance.

5. How can undergrad students balance IMO and their studies?

It is essential for undergrad students to prioritize and manage their time effectively. They may need to adjust their schedule and make sacrifices in certain areas to balance IMO and their studies successfully. It is also crucial to communicate with professors and seek support when needed.