Cornell vs Cambridge for undergrad physics

In summary: Cornell is an excellent school as well, but not quite as strong in some areas as Cambridge.Both schools are great, but I would choose Cambridge if I could. Cornell is also great.In summary, both colleges offer excellent degrees in physics with Trinity being a little better in some areas.
janehou
Hello everyone, I have been admitted by Cornell and Cambridge (Trinity College) as an undergrad. I would like to study physics. Could anyone elaborate on what areas of physics Cornell and Cambridge are especially good at and how are they compared to each other? Also, is Trinity College a special bonus?

P.S. I have heard that Cambridge has some decent AMO groups, but a friend at UT Austin (doing AMO - ex) told me that he has hardly encountered British publications on AMO. He doubts whether UK research is active. Could anyone tell me what is the cause?

Likes sysprog
Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest that you should seek the work to which you would like to contribute. Congratulations on your being offered admission to those two great schools. If it were my choice, I'd go with Cambridge, but Cornell also is great.

sysprog said:
I suggest that you should seek the work to which you would like to contribute. Congratulations on your being offered admission to those two great schools. If it were my choice, I'd go with Cambridge, but Cornell also is great.
Thank you, sysprog! Why would you like to choose Cambridge over Cornell?

Well... what sort of research would you like to do?

I am assuming you are from USA
Many things to consider here. Physics is not at the top of my list because they are both excellent schools; if you thrive, you will get the all physics you need.
Cornell is a wonderful place and produced at least one good physicist (...me BA 1975). I recommend it unreservedly.
But Cambridge is, well, Cambridge. I feel certain that it will be an education in every sense of the word. How adaptable are you to culture change? Being far from home? Fog and rain and blue sky ? Civilization?
If you think you can thrive there, go to Cambridge (sorry Ezra !). But cultivate ties to the US for grad school.

Dishsoap said:
Well... what sort of research would you like to do?
I'm not sure about what sort of research I will do, so I would just like to learn about what areas of physics Cornell and Cambridge are especially good at.

You should search through the faculty pages for physics (via DAMTP, Kavli, IoA, and Cavendish departments) and see what individual people are researching.

If someone at Cambridge is researching it, you can safely assume they're especially good at it. The more faculty, postdocs, PhDs etc that are in a particular field, the better and more focussed they are in that field.

Perhaps a slightly larger concern is whether you can handle the rigour of Trinity Cambridge. It's very competitive and the standard for undergraduates is high -- they're often 1-2 years ahead in their coursework compared to someone at Cornell. And Trinity especially cares about the performance of its undergraduates. Certainly not a good fit if you were hoping to party a lot.

astrotemp said:
You should search through the faculty pages for physics (via DAMTP, Kavli, IoA, and Cavendish departments) and see what individual people are researching.

If someone at Cambridge is researching it, you can safely assume they're especially good at it. The more faculty, postdocs, PhDs etc that are in a particular field, the better and more focussed they are in that field.

Perhaps a slightly larger concern is whether you can handle the rigour of Trinity Cambridge. It's very competitive and the standard for undergraduates is high -- they're often 1-2 years ahead in their coursework compared to someone at Cornell. And Trinity especially cares about the performance of its undergraduates. Certainly not a good fit if you were hoping to party a lot.
Thank you astrotemp! I like Trinity's academically-focused environment, but another concern is that I'll possibly apply for grad schools in the US. Will studying in the UK disadvantage my application? I've heard that UK students do not conduct as many projects as US students.

No, it won't disadvantage your application, especially if you complete Part III. It's true that students do fewer projects aside from their Masters thesis, but this is by their own choice. There are plenty of opportunities around, but you're expected to seek them out yourself and organise projects and supervisors yourself.

But many students who only do Part III and no other research programs are still highly competitive as many (most?) get publications.

janehou said:
Could anyone elaborate on what areas of physics Cornell and Cambridge are especially good at and how are they compared to each other? Also, is Trinity College a special bonus?

Cambridge is a good place - not sure where you get your idea from that UK doesn't do research that well.
I am starting part III in Physics in October (Cambridge)
Trinity is one of the best colleges for Physics, along with say Pembroke and Christ's. In my class year Trinity is not doing too great, but usually its one of the best.

I highly doubt that having a degree from Cambridge will be an impediment to being accepted to graduate programs in the U.S.

The biggest difference you are going to find is not Cornell vs Cambridge per say but the university system in the US vs UK. There will be no hand holding in the UK. You will be expected to be motivated and be able to self-advocate. There are no requirements for gen eds or easing into first year. The academics will be very rigorous. UK students may also have more specialization going in as I don't think AP's and A levels are exactly comparable. On the other hand the fact that you've been admitted to 2 very highly ranked institutions indicates that you probably already exhibit the characteristics necessary to do well at either school. I would however recommend you do much more research into the mechanics of how the programs work and the degree structures before deciding. You'll find greater grade inflation at Cornell vs Cambridge. You also won't get the same level of big league sports at Cambridge as you would at Cornell, it will be different. On the other hand at Cambridge you will have the opportunity to experience a different country and culture.

1. What is the difference between Cornell and Cambridge for undergraduate physics?

Cornell and Cambridge are both highly reputable universities with strong physics programs. However, there are some key differences between the two. Cornell is located in the United States, while Cambridge is located in the United Kingdom. Cornell is a larger university with a more diverse student body and a larger physics department, while Cambridge is smaller and more focused on academic excellence. Additionally, Cornell offers a more hands-on approach to learning, while Cambridge has a more traditional lecture-based teaching style.

2. Which university has a better reputation for undergraduate physics?

Both Cornell and Cambridge have excellent reputations for undergraduate physics. Cornell is consistently ranked among the top physics programs in the United States, while Cambridge is consistently ranked among the top universities in the world. Ultimately, the reputation of a university is subjective and may depend on individual preferences and priorities.

3. What are the research opportunities like at Cornell and Cambridge for undergraduate physics students?

Both Cornell and Cambridge offer a wide range of research opportunities for undergraduate physics students. At Cornell, students have the opportunity to work with world-renowned faculty on cutting-edge research projects in areas such as astrophysics, condensed matter physics, and particle physics. At Cambridge, students can also participate in research projects with faculty members and may have the opportunity to work on projects at the prestigious Cavendish Laboratory.

4. Which university has a better job placement rate for undergraduate physics graduates?

Both Cornell and Cambridge have strong job placement rates for undergraduate physics graduates. Cornell's large alumni network and connections with industry and research institutions can provide valuable job opportunities for graduates. Similarly, Cambridge's reputation and connections with top employers in the UK and around the world can also lead to successful job placement for graduates.

5. What is the cost difference between attending Cornell and Cambridge for undergraduate physics?

Attending Cornell as an international student can be more expensive than attending Cambridge. However, both universities offer financial aid and scholarships to help offset the cost of tuition and living expenses. It is important to research and compare the cost of attendance for each university and consider factors such as location and available financial aid when making a decision.