Quantum eraser original paper

In summary, the experiment demonstrated that the correlation between two particles in an entangled state is not a two-particle state, but is instead a one-particle state.
venkat
where can i get an online copy of the original paper of Scully and Druhl ( about the quantum eraser experiment) ?

and any other good material on the topic .
also where can i get something about Popper's experiment?

please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think this is the original one, but here is a description by the authors, including Scully, of a delayed choice quantum eraser experiment. http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9903047.

What experiment by Popper are you referring to? I wsn't aware he did any.

Originally posted by selfAdjoint
What experiment by Popper are you referring to? I wsn't aware he did any. [/B]
Popper did thought experiments, not real ones. :smile:

You might find this interesting:
http://physics.umbc.edu/Faculty/shih/PopperEraser.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the link! I didn't know about Popper's contribution in this area. I didn't go deeply into the experimental designs, but went carefully into the conclusions. And these were what I expected:

- The entangled state is not a two particle state: you can't manipulate one of the particles in it to learn details about the other.

- The entangled state provides a correlation, and only a correlation, between the observables of the particles.

thanks a lot for the links...but i didn't unerstand the conclusions as well as selfadjoint did. the thing is buried in experimenal details. what i could make out was that the use argon lasers a lot in these experiments...and of course, that the method to produce entangled pairs is SPONTANEOUS PARAMETRIC DOWNCONVERTION !

what was the result of the experimental demonstration of popper's thought expt? anybody please help...selfadjoint? what did they find?

Don't get tangled up in the middle of the paper unless you really want to know all the gory details of doing the experiment. Of course they have to put all that stuff in so that if somebody else wants to reproduce the experimant and check them (essential to science), they can.

The experimentalists' own conclusions are stated at the end of the paper, in the section labled Conclusions. Try reading that and see if it gives you what you need.

1. What is the "Quantum eraser original paper" about?

The "Quantum eraser original paper" is a scientific paper published in 1982 by Marlan O. Scully and Kai Drühl. It introduced the concept of quantum eraser experiments, which aim to test the principles of wave-particle duality and the role of observation in quantum mechanics.

2. How does a quantum eraser experiment work?

In a quantum eraser experiment, a photon is split into two entangled photons. One of these photons is passed through a double-slit and its position is recorded, while the other is sent to a detector. If the position of the first photon is known, the second photon will behave like a particle and leave a single mark on the detector. However, if the position of the first photon is unknown, the second photon will behave like a wave and produce an interference pattern on the detector.

3. What is the significance of the quantum eraser experiment?

The quantum eraser experiment provides evidence for the counterintuitive nature of quantum mechanics, where the act of observation can affect the behavior of particles. It also supports the idea of wave-particle duality, where particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior.

4. How has the "Quantum eraser original paper" influenced future research?

The "Quantum eraser original paper" has inspired numerous follow-up studies and experiments, further exploring the principles of quantum mechanics and the role of observation. It has also led to the development of new technologies, such as quantum cryptography and quantum computing.

5. Can the findings of the "Quantum eraser original paper" be applied in real-world scenarios?

While the principles of quantum mechanics have been successfully applied in various technologies, the specific findings of the "Quantum eraser original paper" may not have direct practical applications. However, the continued research in this field may lead to new discoveries and innovations in the future.