Help with Mousetrap Car: Learn How to Build and Race!

In summary, the Brazilian gentleman asks for help from the people of PF in developing a MouseTrap Car. He is not familiar with the subject or the language, and is very worried about how to get started. He has found a website with instructions on how to make a car, but is unsure about the other aspects of the project. He asks for help from the community, and is grateful for any assistance offered.
azimovas
Help on Mousetrap Car !

Hello, good afternoon.
I would ask you for the help of my work in physics.
As you well understand, I'm not North American and my English is very bad.
I am Brazilian and I ask the help of you using the Google translator. :blushing:

Well, as I was talking to you, I have to develop a MouseTrap Car.
And I have no idea of how to begin making such a car.
I have to mount a racing car, where the most time wins.

I would you please help me to develop this project, because we do not understand anything about this.:cry:

I hope that with the help of you I can mount an optimal car, and can learn the subject.Do not hesitate to give aid ...
Good afternoon again, and thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

azimovas said:
As you well understand, I'm not North American and my English is very bad.
I am Brazilian and I ask the help of you using the Google translator. :blushing:

Well, as I was talking to you, I have to develop a MouseTrap Car.
And I have no idea of how to begin making such a car.
I have to mount a racing car, where the most time wins.

Hello azimovas! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(I assume you mean the least time wins? :wink:)

I've never tried to make a mousetrap car, but google will give you plenty of sites, for example:
http://www.mousetrap-cars.com/construction_tips.htm

tiny-tim said:
(I assume you mean the least time wins? :wink:)

Not necessarily. He might mean which vehicle runs the longest. There are several different factors that could be used as a goal.
Nice link.

Thank you guys !
I mean, i'll win that.

azimovas said:
Thank you guys !
I mean, i'll win that.

Let us know how you get on! :biggrin:

What are the rules?
Are you limited to a specific set of "ingredients" to use for the car?

The most important rules are:
Chassis, the wheels and axles of the car can be made of any material provided they are not considered dangerous.
You can only use a trap.
The wheels we should build, I mean, we can not get something done.

Ty Guys :biggrin:

1. How do I choose the right materials for building a mousetrap car?

The materials you choose for your mousetrap car will depend on your design and goals. However, some commonly used materials for mousetrap cars include wooden dowels, CDs, plastic water bottles, rubber bands, and of course, a mousetrap. It is important to choose lightweight, sturdy materials that can withstand the force of the mousetrap.

2. What is the best design for a mousetrap car?

There is no one "best" design for a mousetrap car as it will depend on your goals and the materials you have available. However, some key design elements to consider include weight distribution, wheel size and placement, and the use of axles and bearings for smooth movement.

3. How do I make my mousetrap car go faster?

There are a few ways to make your mousetrap car go faster. First, make sure your car is as lightweight as possible by using lightweight materials and minimizing the number of moving parts. You can also experiment with different wheel sizes and types of wheels, as well as adjusting the tension on the mousetrap to increase the force and acceleration.

4. How do I test and troubleshoot my mousetrap car?

To test your mousetrap car, mark a distance on a flat surface and see how far your car can travel before stopping. If it stops too soon, you may need to adjust the weight distribution or make other modifications. If it veers off course, check the alignment of your wheels and make sure they are rolling smoothly. You can also try experimenting with different mousetrap tensions to see how it affects the car's performance.

5. Can I race my mousetrap car against others?

Yes, mousetrap car races are a popular activity and can be a fun way to test your car's design and speed. You can either race against others with similar cars or challenge yourself by setting up a track with obstacles and timing your car's completion. Just make sure to follow any safety guidelines and have fun!