Sliding friction, position/velocity as a function of time?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of calculating the position and velocity of a particle with a non-zero velocity and acceleration, taking into account sliding friction. The speaker is looking for a way to incorporate this into a physics simulator and is questioning whether kinetic friction is inherently piecewise.
mcevans
If this question is completely stupid, forgive me, I'm a few years out of university and math and physics are quickly leaving my brain... :)

Say a particle has a non zero velocity in one direction and a non zero acceleration in the opposite direction. If you also account for some sliding friction force opposing this movement, is it still possible to calculate its position and velocity as functions of time?

I've been googling around for a while and can't seem to come up with what I want. I'm trying to write a little (extremely simplified) continuous physics simulator, and after some timestep dt I need to be able to say "new_x_position = velocity * dt + f(dt)" where f is some mystery function- right now the only things I can come up with are piecewise functions.

edit: I should clarify- the source of my confusion is that sliding friction can never exceed whatever applied force is causing the particle's acceleration, and must always oppose movement, even if the particle's direction changes during that timestep

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I guess this question could be summarised as, "Is kinetic friction inherently piecewise?"

Hi there,

No need to apologize, it's always good to ask questions and refresh your knowledge!

To answer your question, yes it is still possible to calculate the position and velocity of a particle as functions of time even when sliding friction is involved. However, the calculations will be more complex and will require taking into account the forces acting on the particle.

First, let's define some variables:
- x(t) represents the position of the particle at time t
- v(t) represents the velocity of the particle at time t
- a(t) represents the acceleration of the particle at time t
- F(t) represents the net force acting on the particle at time t
- μ represents the coefficient of sliding friction between the particle and the surface it is sliding on

Now, using Newton's second law, we can write the following equation:
F(t) = ma(t)

We also know that the friction force (Ff) is given by the following equation:
Ff = μN
where N is the normal force acting on the particle (perpendicular to the surface).

So, the net force acting on the particle can be written as:
F(t) = ma(t) - μN

To calculate the position and velocity of the particle as functions of time, we can use the following equations:
x(t) = x0 + v0t + (1/2)at^2
v(t) = v0 + at
where x0 and v0 are the initial position and velocity of the particle at time t=0.

Now, to incorporate the sliding friction force, we need to modify the acceleration term in these equations. So, we can write:
x(t) = x0 + v0t + (1/2)(a(t) - μN/m)t^2
v(t) = v0 + (a(t) - μN/m)t

As you can see, the friction force will affect the acceleration of the particle, and therefore, its position and velocity as functions of time. To calculate the normal force (N), you will need to consider the forces acting on the particle in the direction perpendicular to the surface it is sliding on.

I hope this helps and clarifies any confusion you had. Good luck with your physics simulator!

1. What is sliding friction?

Sliding friction is a type of force that occurs when two surfaces slide against each other. It is caused by the microscopic roughness of the surfaces, which creates resistance and slows down the sliding motion.

2. How is sliding friction different from static friction?

Static friction occurs when two surfaces are in contact but not moving relative to each other, while sliding friction occurs when the surfaces are in motion. Static friction is generally stronger than sliding friction.

3. How does the position of an object change over time due to sliding friction?

The position of an object will change over time due to sliding friction because the force of friction will cause the object to slow down and eventually come to a stop. The position will decrease as the object moves along the surface.

4. How does the velocity of an object change over time due to sliding friction?

The velocity of an object will change over time due to sliding friction because the force of friction acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion. This means that the object's velocity will decrease over time until it comes to a stop.

5. Can the position and velocity of an object be predicted as a function of time when sliding friction is present?

Yes, the position and velocity of an object can be predicted as a function of time when sliding friction is present. This can be done by using mathematical equations that take into account the force of friction, the object's initial position and velocity, and the time elapsed.