Light emission from a hole in a cavity

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability density for a particular photon to have velocity v and its independence in the range (-c,c). It also covers the upper bound of energy emitted from a hole of area A and how the actual energy emitted is 1/4 of this upper bound. The equations used include p(v) = 1/2 sin θ dθ and E = (A c dt/v) (volume within c dt of the hole). Opaka provides a detailed explanation and solution for both parts of the question.
opaka

Homework Statement

Sethna 7.7

Assume that the hole of area A is is on the upper part of the cavity, perpendicular to the z axis. The vertical component of the velocity of each photon is therefore vz= c cos(θ), where θ is the angle between the photon velocity and the vertical. The photon distribution just inside the boundary of the hole is depleted of photons with v < 0 (very few photons come into the hole from the outside), but it is almost unaffected by the presence of the hole for photons with v > 0. The Planck distribution is isotropic, so the probability that a photon will be moving at an angle θ (and therefore velocity v) is the perimeter of the θ circle on the sphere divided by the area of the sphere, 2∏ sin θ dθ/ 4∏=1/2 sin θ dθ. Show that the probability density for a particular photon to have velocity v is independent of v in the range (-c,c), and thus is 1/2 c.

b) An upper bound on the energy emitted from a hold of area A is given by the energy in the box as a whole times the fraction A c dt/v of the volume within c dt of the hole. Show that the actual energy emitted is 1/4 of this upper bound. Hint: You will need to integrate [itex]\int p(v) v dv[/itex] from 0 to c.

Homework Equations

probablity density p(v)= annular shell/shell volume - which I thought would be 1/2 sin θ dθ

The Attempt at a Solution

Not much - I couldn't figure out part a at all, so I just plugged the answer of 1/2 c into the integral of part b, and changing the limits of integration to radians (0 to ∏ /2) I'm still confused - 1/2 c^3 [itex]\int[/itex] cos θ *sin θ dθ = 1/4 c^3 (sin θ)^2 = 1/4 (c^3).

Any ideas or tips?

Opaka

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Sethna 7.7,

Thank you for your forum post. I am a scientist and I would be happy to help you with your questions.

For part a, we can use the given equation for the probability density p(v) = 1/2 sin θ dθ to show that the probability density for a particular photon to have velocity v is independent of v in the range (-c,c). We can do this by integrating p(v) from 0 to c.

∫p(v)dv = ∫1/2 sin θ dθ = 1/2 ∫sin θ dθ = 1/2 (-cos θ) from 0 to c = 1/2 (-cos c + cos 0) = 1/2 (-cos c + 1)

Since cos c = -1, the final result is 1/2 (1 + 1) = 1, which means that the probability density for a particular photon to have velocity v is independent of v in the range (-c,c).

For part b, we can use the given equation for the upper bound of energy emitted from a hole of area A, which is given by E = (A c dt/v) (volume within c dt of the hole). We can then use the result from part a to show that the actual energy emitted is 1/4 of this upper bound.

∫p(v)v dv = ∫1/2 sin θ dθ * c cos θ dθ = 1/2 c ∫sin θ cos θ dθ = 1/2 c (-1/2 cos^2 θ) from 0 to ∏/2 = 1/4 c (1 - cos^2 ∏/2) = 1/4 c (1 - 0) = 1/4 c

This means that the actual energy emitted is 1/4 of the upper bound given by E = (A c dt/v) (volume within c dt of the hole).

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions or if you need any clarification.

Opaka

1. What causes light to be emitted from a hole in a cavity?

The emission of light from a hole in a cavity is caused by the phenomenon of stimulated emission, where excited atoms or molecules in the cavity release photons that are in phase with each other and create a coherent beam of light.

2. How is the intensity of light emission affected by the size of the hole in a cavity?

The intensity of light emission from a hole in a cavity is directly proportional to the size of the hole. A larger hole allows for more stimulated emission to occur, resulting in a higher intensity of light.

3. Can the material of the cavity affect the wavelength of the emitted light?

Yes, the material of the cavity can affect the wavelength of the emitted light. The size and shape of the cavity, as well as the properties of the material, can determine the resonant frequencies of the cavity and thus the wavelength of the emitted light.

4. How does the shape of the cavity affect the direction of emitted light?

The shape of the cavity can affect the direction of emitted light through the phenomenon of total internal reflection. The walls of the cavity act as mirrors, reflecting the light back and forth until it is emitted from the hole in a specific direction.

5. Is light emission from a hole in a cavity always coherent?

No, light emission from a hole in a cavity can be either coherent or incoherent, depending on the conditions of the cavity. Coherent emission occurs when the emitted photons are in phase with each other, while incoherent emission is when the photons are not in phase and the resulting light is scattered in different directions.