What is the impact of dropping a science subject on future research career?

In summary, if you want to pursue a career in research field, you should drop Chemistry and Biology. If you want to pursue a career in another field, you should continue to pursue either Physics or Chemistry.
Harmony
I am currently pursuing my pre-tertiary education. For my school, it is only possible to take 2 out of three science subjects (Chemistry, Physics, Biology). I believe, that my choice will affect my career in the future, as I wish to pursue a career in research field. May I know what is the effect if I choose to drop:
1. Chemistry?
2. Physics?
3. Biology?
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which of these do you not intend to pursue:
1. Chemistry
2. Physics or Engineering
3. Biology

I don't or will nver drop any of them if I were you.

Perhaps my previous post is a bit vague.
Yes, I would never want to drop any of the subjects if possible.
The trouble is, our school authority won't allow this.
Now that my school will reopen soon, I have to make up my mind...but I haven't decided which subject to drop out yet.

Uhm, is this high school? What you do in high school does not matter at all when it comes to your career...

But wouldn't it affect the subjects I choose to major in university?

Harmony said:
But wouldn't it affect the subjects I choose to major in university?

No... What classes you take in HS have no real bearing on what you do in college unless they are AP classes which means you might be able to skip a class or two if you pass.

Pengwuino said:
No... What classes you take in HS have no real bearing on what you do in college unless they are AP classes which means you might be able to skip a class or two if you pass.

You are assuming that this person resides in the US.

I would hazard a guess that this is for something like an A-level program in the UK. So people, if you don't want to fill your user info on here, make sure you are explicit in your postings on where in the world you are when you ask questions like this. If not most of us would be wasting our time giving you advice that you can't use.

Zz.

Last edited:
Well, I am studying in Asian Country, pursuing A level programme. Are there any other infromation which I should include as well?

well in UK universisites at least, biology is not needed for pretty much all maths, physics compsci and engineering degrees. It might be nice for a chemistry degree but not necessary and I believe they would appreciate the physics A-level much more (you need physics for chemical engineering).

If you want to do anything medical then a chemistry A-level is actually more important than a biology A-level, but both are needed.

Also, if you want to do physics or maths a mathematics A-level is pretty much a must (if your school offers Further Maths then take that too).

So basically if you want to do anything related to physics, mathematics, engineering or computer science then drop Biology. If you want to do something biological/medical then drop Physics.

Cheers,
Just some guy.

Harmony said:
Well, I am studying in Asian Country, pursuing A level programme.

Iran? Pakistan? India? Indonesia? China? Thailand? Japan? Korea? Etc.?

I'd expect to see a lot of variation among the educational systems of those countries.

jtbell said:
Iran? Pakistan? India? Indonesia? China? Thailand? Japan? Korea? Etc.?

I'd expect to see a lot of variation among the educational systems of those countries.

Strangly enough, it doesn't matter in this case.

The A-Level exams have uniform criteria/exam throughout the world (depending of course on WHICH A-Level boards one chooses). If you sit for, let's say, the U. of London's board syllabus, you will get the identical examination in Africa as you would in Canada. It's one of the most recognized examination standards, at least outside the US. A lot of students sit for this exam as a requirement for admission into UK universities. However, many other universities throughout the world also use this exam as their admission standard.

Zz.

1. What is the purpose of a research career?

A research career is dedicated to the pursuit of knowledge and understanding in a specific field of study. Scientists in research careers conduct experiments, gather data, and analyze results to contribute to the advancement of their field and society as a whole.

2. What subjects are typically studied in a research career?

The subjects studied in a research career can vary greatly depending on the specific field of study. Some common subjects include biology, chemistry, physics, psychology, and engineering. However, with the constantly evolving nature of research, new fields and topics of study are constantly emerging.

3. What skills are necessary for a successful research career?

A successful research career requires a combination of technical skills, such as data analysis and laboratory techniques, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Additionally, strong communication and collaboration skills are essential for sharing research findings and working with other scientists.

4. What career opportunities are available in the field of research?

There are a variety of career opportunities available in the field of research, including academic positions, industry research positions, and government research positions. Scientists may also choose to work in non-traditional roles, such as science communication, policy-making, or consulting.

5. How can one prepare for a career in research?

To prepare for a career in research, it is important to obtain a strong foundation in a relevant subject area through education and hands-on experience. Developing skills in critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication is also crucial. Networking with other scientists and seeking out research opportunities can also help pave the way for a successful research career.