Relating Voltage to Magnetic Field

In summary, the student attempted to solve for the induced voltage using Faraday's Law and current varying with time, but was having trouble relating the magnetic flux to current. They eventually solved for the induced voltage using an equation that replaced the current in the DC magnetic field equation with an AC expression for current.
llenkic

Homework Statement

I did a lab experiment with Helmholtz coil, where we had to build a probe and connect it to an oscilloscope to measure the induced voltage, from the magnetic field produced by the Helmholtz coil. The Helmholtz coils were connected to an AC power source.

Now I have to relate the induced voltage, to the magnetic field strength inside the coils.

Homework Equations

[tex]\epsilon[/tex] = -[tex]\frac{d\Phi_{B}}{dt}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that by Faraday's Law, that a changing magnetic flux will induce an emf. And since the coils were connected to an alternating current, the current is probably varying sinusoidally.

If this were a situation where the area that was changing with respect to time, I would do this

[tex]\epsilon[/tex] = -B[tex]\frac{dA}{dt}[/tex]

since the magnetic flux, [tex]\Phi[/tex]_b = BA cos[tex]\varphi[/tex].

I feel I should do something like that, but have current varying with time, except I am really having trouble relating the magnetic flux to current...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand correctly, you're inserting a loop of wire as a probe into the coil, then measure the induced voltage to get the magnetic field strength of the coil at that point, yes?

If the loop is inbetween the two coils and parallell to the coil's plane, then the induced voltage follows ε = -dΦ/dt = -BdA/dt. As the magnetic field probably isn't homogenous when you insert it directly, have the loop in the middle of the plane of the coil then rotate it to get a better value for B.

Then you can measure the angle between the normal to the plane of the coil and the normal to the plane of the loop as θ. Then the equation becomes ε = -BA*dcos(θ)/dt.

Now assuming that the loop rotates at a constant speed ω, then ε = -BA*dcos(ωt)/dt.

ε = -BA*dcos(ωt)/dt = BAωsin(ωt) from which B = ε/(Aωsin(ωt)).

Although, if using AC current for the coil, then it would be best not to rotate it. Since the magnetic field created by a Helmholtz coil is B = (4/5)3/20nI/R for DC, AC will have I as i*sin(2πft - φ), where i is the peak current.
Then B = (4/5)3/20ni*sin(2πft - φ)/R = B0sin(2πft - φ), where B0 is the peak magnetic field strength.

Thus ε = -dΦ/dt = -AB0dsin(2πft-φ)/dt = -2πf*AB0cos(2πft-φ).

Last edited:
Yes, that's what I had to do, the probe was inserted at the axis of the coil.

So you just replaced the current in the DC expression for magnetic field and replaced it with an AC expression for current? I hadn't thought of replacing B in the magnetic flux equation with an expression for the magnetic field... That makes so much sense, thank you for your help!

What is the relationship between voltage and magnetic field?

The relationship between voltage and magnetic field is based on Faraday's Law, which states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electric field. This electric field can then cause a flow of electrons, known as current, which results in a voltage. In other words, a change in magnetic field can create a voltage.

How can voltage be created from a magnetic field?

Voltage can be created from a magnetic field through electromagnetic induction. When a conductor, such as a wire, moves through a magnetic field or when the magnetic field itself changes, an electric current is induced in the conductor, resulting in a voltage.

What is the unit of measurement for the strength of a magnetic field?

The unit of measurement for the strength of a magnetic field is called a Tesla (T). This unit is named after Nikola Tesla, a physicist and inventor who made significant contributions to the study of electricity and magnetism.

How does the strength of the magnetic field affect voltage?

The strength of the magnetic field can affect voltage in a couple of ways. First, a stronger magnetic field can induce a larger electric field, resulting in a higher voltage. Second, a stronger magnetic field can cause electrons to move faster, resulting in a higher current and therefore a higher voltage.

What are some practical applications of relating voltage to magnetic field?

There are many practical applications of relating voltage to magnetic field, including generators, motors, transformers, and various types of sensors. These devices all rely on the relationship between voltage and magnetic field to convert energy from one form to another or to detect changes in the magnetic field.