Check Out Fake Photo of President Bush: "Whatever it Takes"

• News
  • Thread starter check
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photo
In summary, CNN has reported that the photo used in a Bush campaign ad, which shows a crowd of military personnel, is a fake. The ad will be re-edited and reshipped to TV stations.
check
Just caught this on CNN. Get over to http://www.georgewbush.com/ before they take it down. Take a look at the ‘whatever it takes’ photo. It shows a large crowd of US military personnel standing in formation listening to the president. Problem is, it’s a fake picture. If you look closely, you can see that a lot of the faces are exactly the same. Just thought it was funny. ‘whatever it takes’ indeed guys. :tongue2:

Attachments

• check1.jpg
    check1.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 475
  • check2.jpg
    check2.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 477
Physics news on Phys.org
I see no GW Bush in that picture.

What is CNN saying about it? The photo looks fake simply because the foreground and background perspectives seem unlikely to have been captured at the same time. But lacking context, I can't say whether that's right or wrong (the tv ads have, indeed, been pulled from the site).

Well the story will probably make it on the CNN website in a little while, but I only caught a bit of it. Yes I noticed there was not GW in the pictures also but that was the description given on the TV report.

Oh, they're talking about it on CNN now. Basically the Bush camp says that the president was in the picture before on the left side speaking in front of a podium. He was then cut out and some pictures of the military personnel were edited in. I don’t know why they’d cut out the president, but ok, I’ll believe that.

I wonder if it was the picture at http://www.johnkerry.com/index.html that made them feel the need to show a picture filled with people...

Gokul43201 said:
I wonder if it was the picture at http://www.johnkerry.com/index.html that made them feel the need to show a picture filled with people...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah, I think Kerry wins that one.

Gokul43201 said:

That's a lot of people. I am not sure if Bush can top that, keep adding more people and they will start to blend into the horizon :biggrin: .

They photoshoped an image so it wouldn't look weird.

Uh...

Scandal?

What?

INDIANOLA, Iowa (AP) -- President Bush's campaign acknowledged Thursday that it had doctored a photograph used in a television commercial and said the ad will be re-edited and reshipped to TV stations.

The photo of Bush addressing a group of soldiers was edited to take out a podium, aides said, and a group of soldiers in the crowd was electronically copied and used to fill where the podium had been.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/10/28/bush.ad.ap/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
If the pictures check posted are accurate, there were at least three podiums within the group of soldiers according to the Bush press release?

What's wrong with just telling the truth? Ok, someone doctored up the picture, that I can accept, making up a lie to cover it up is pathetic.

Last edited:
Evo said:
If the pictures check posted are accurate, there were at least three podiums within the group of soldiers according to the Bush press release?

What's wrong with just telling the truth? Ok, someone doctored up the picture, that I can accept, making up a lie to cover it up is pathetic.

Evo, do you still continue to be shocked by lies and deception from the Bushies ? Most of us have developed an immunity to such reaction.

Could someone help me out here - I'm not seeing a lie. They doctored a photo to make it look pretty for the website and TV commercial and when asked about it, they admitted it. What's the problem?

Evo said:
I don't get how you're coming to the conclusion that there would be at least three podiums...can you clarify?

So...If the origional is shown and it shows that it was only one podium and the president, as they are saying...then you will find it acceptable?

russ_watters said:
Could someone help me out here - I'm not seeing a lie. They doctored a photo to make it look pretty for the website and TV commercial and when asked about it, they admitted it. What's the problem?
Are you serious? We are talking about, not just any commercial, but the commercial of a presidential candidate. We have a legitimate expectation of a higher level of integrity.

For Evo.
I believe this is the origional unaltered pic.
http://www.georgewbush.com/images/gallery/P20035-07.jpg

kat said:
I don't get how you're coming to the conclusion that there would be at least three podiums...can you clarify?

I think what Evo is trying to say is that since pictures of the same soldiers are shown three times, there should be three podiums, but they appear to be edited out entirely.

motai said:
I think what Evo is trying to say is that since pictures of the same soldiers are shown three times, there should be three podiums, but they appear to be edited out entirely.

Then I'm going to assume that she's not familiar with photoshopping and leave it at that.

kat said:
If you look at the picture check posted check2.jpg, in his first post, you will see three sets of soldiers over a large area, but the picture you referenced has just the single podium covering a much smaller area. That's a really bad job of photo editing.

So...If the origional is shown and it shows that it was only one podium and the president, as they are saying...then you will find it acceptable?
Yes, it is acceptable, I don't see what the fuss is about. It's obvious that they didn't alter the photo with the intention of creating a false message and the Bush press release appears to be accurate.

Why would anyone even care about this?

Out of US, we are forbidden to see Bush's web.

Polly said:
Are you serious? We are talking about, not just any commercial, but the commercial of a presidential candidate. We have a legitimate expectation of a higher level of integrity.
Integrity for what? You're implying that altering the photo, in and of itself, is a deception. It isn't. Here is the point:
Yes, it is acceptable, I don't see what the fuss is about. It's obvious that they didn't alter the photo with the intention of creating a false message and the Bush press release appears to be accurate.
Altering a photo is not automatically an attempt to decieve. There is no integrity issue here.

kat said:
For Evo.
I believe this is the origional unaltered pic.
http://www.georgewbush.com/images/gallery/P20035-07.jpg
Trying to look to the link from Europe, but:
Access Denied
You don't have permission to access "http://www.georgewbush.com/images/gallery/P20035-07.jpg" on this server

The rest of the world is not allowed. :rofl:

MiGUi said:
Out of US, we are forbidden to see Bush's web.
You can find both photos http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/10/28/bush.ad.ap/index.html . Heck, it seems to me that Kerry fans should like the alteration: the photo was altered to take Bush out of it.

russ_watters said:
Integrity for what? You're implying that altering the photo, in and of itself, is a deception. It isn't. Here is the point: Altering a photo is not automatically an attempt to decieve. There is no integrity issue here.
Of course it is. But it's intended for a naive, simple minded Bush supporters. They must have the impression that a LOT of SOLDIERS were there with their Imperial Commander in Chief.
You can create a lot of possible reasons to cover up this deception, but we don't buy that. We are not that naive.

pelastration said:
Of course it is. But it's intended for a naive, simple minded Bush supporters. They must have the impression that a LOT of SOLDIERS were there with their Imperial Commander in Chief.
You can create a lot of possible reasons to cover up this deception, but we don't buy that. We are not that naive.
Actually the edit wasn't adding to the number of soldiers in the picture, so they were not trying to be deceptive in that way.

Of course anyone that thinks all of those soldiers packed in there like that of their own free will is naive. Bush is currently Commander in Chief and the soldiers were ordered to be there.

Last edited:
pelastration said:
The edit does not change the number of soldiers implied by the picture. Would you like to try again?
What cover-up! Jeez, you're trying awfully hard to pump a dry well, here: the Bush team was asked about the photo and admitted it was altered. There is no cover-up.

This is yet another issue that a reactionary left is trying to blow out of proportion, only to have it blow up in their own face.

Did you even look at the two photos yet?

Last edited:
Evo said:
Actually the edit wasn't adding to the number of soldiers in the picture, so they were not trying to be deceptive in that way.

Of course anyone that thinks all of those soldiers packed in there like that of their own free will is naive. Bush is the currently Commander in Chief and the soldiers were ordered to be there.
Evo I put it on Photshop, different layers and scaled. Then counted. Used also transparency. The doctored image count ± 68/70 soldiers. The Original: 45 soldier faces.
That's only a difference of 23 soldiers (maybe 5 replacing Bush).
Since Russ prefers scientic tests I believe he will not be pleased with your remark that the difference between 69 and 45 is zero. :biggrin:
So let's say only 17 were added, but that's still 38% extra.

okay, I'm not rereading this thread...WHY did they photoshop bush out of the pic?

russ_watters said:
Did you even look at the two photos yet?
Sure, see my previous post.
This seems your made an assumption, and didn't check for yourself. I did however since I prefer to control things in a scientific way.

pelastration said:
Evo I put it on Photshop, different layers and scaled. Then counted. Used also transparency. The doctored image count ± 68/70 soldiers. The Original: 45 soldier faces.
That's only a difference of 23 soldiers (maybe 5 replacing Bush).
Since Russ prefers scientic tests I believe he will not be pleased with your remark that the difference between 69 and 45 is zero. :biggrin:
So let's say only 17 were added, but that's still 38% extra.
So you're assuming that in Bush's shadow, there is a hole in the crowd of soldiers? Are you also claiming that the change makes the number of soldiers pictured larger than the actual number of soldiers present?

You've also never said what is deceitful about it. Yes, some soldiers are in there twice, but that doesn't say how it is deceitful: what does the altered photo say or imply that the original photo doesn't?

edit: you also seem to be counting the difference in cropping...

Note: in the photo kat linked, the cropping is wider and significantly more soldiers are depicted than in either photo on CNN's website. It was clearly cropped to remove a TV camera from the left side, a SS agent on the right, and top and bottom to maintain the aspect ratio.

Last edited:
phatmonky said:
okay, I'm not rereading this thread...WHY did they photoshop bush out of the pic?
They wanted to highlight the boy waving the flag against the backdrop of a crowd of soldiers.

russ_watters said:
They wanted to highlight the boy waving the flag against the backdrop of a crowd of soldiers.

Wow, and this is a big deal??

Maybe if they left Bush in it people would be complaining that he was trying to use the troops to win his election? Instead, there is a photo that is not partisan and is simply people supporting the troops...again, what's the deal again?

russ_watters said:
So you're assuming that in Bush's shadow, there is a hole in the crowd of soldiers? Are you also claiming that the change makes the number of soldiers pictured larger than the actual number of soldiers present?
I counted 23 extra faces and deducted 5 faces (about the surface the Bush takes) = 17 extra faces.
So why to add 17 faces ... because of the little boy with it's flag? :cool:
Funning, but not the real reason. :wink:
Russ ... come on ... you know better.

Last edited:
I still don't understand the title of this thread - nice try? what was the goal? to disassociate Bush from the military?

Evo said:
Of course anyone that thinks all of those soldiers packed in there like that of their own free will is naive. Bush is currently Commander in Chief and the soldiers were ordered to be there.
I don't think you're very familiar with the military... but if these soldiers were ordered to hear the President speak and didn't go willingly I'd sure like to see you show some sort of support or evidence for that.
My knowledge of the military would make me believe that those soldiers would gladly and willingly go see their commander in chief speak with absolutely no extra encouragement and certianly not being "Ordered" to attend.
If that were the case...I'm sure it would be splashed all over the front of the NYT at least...

phatmonky said:
I still don't understand the title of this thread - nice try? what was the goal? to disassociate Bush from the military?

This thread was created and posted before the official Bush campaign response. It was a ‘nice try’ to the Bush team trying to get away with using fake photos in their ads. But anyway, ok, so I jumped the gun on this one. Although I still think the alteration of photos in campaign ads probably isn’t the best thing in the world, I’ll accept the official explanation.