Induced Voltages and Inductance

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of induced current, required force, and electric potential in a circuit consisting of a rolling axle, horizontal rails, and a resistor. Faraday's law is used to find the voltage and ohms law is used to calculate the current. The direction of the current in the resistor is also discussed.
Alice-Shallom
In the figure attached below, the rolling axle, 1.50 m long, is pushed along horizontal rails at a constant speed u = 3.00 m/s. A resistor R= 0.400 Ω is connected to the rails at points a and b, directly opposite each other. (The wheels make good electrical contact with the rails, and so the axle, rails, and R form a closed-loop circuit. The only significant resistance in the circuit is R.) There is a uniform magnetic field B= 0.0800 T vertically downward.

a)Find the induced current I in the resistor.
b)What horizontal force F is required to keep the axle rolling at constant speed?
c)Which end of the resistor, a or b, is at the higher electric potential?
d)After the axle rolls past the resistor, does the current in R reverse direction?

Attachments

• figure.jpg
    figure.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 410
Physics news on Phys.org
First use Faraday's law E=-N d(BA)/dx to find the voltage, and just take into consideration that B=constant. Therefore, E=-N Bd(A)/dx and also A=l(variable). Then use ohms law (E=iR) and these three other equations (F=iL x B, P=Fu and P=i^2R). I'm sorry I've almost forgot N=1.

I apologize to everybody for writing E=-Nd(BA)/dx. Instead, I've should written
E=-Nd(BA)/dt and because of that I;m going to solve a).
E=-1(B)d(A)/dt=-B(l)dx/dt=-B(l)(u)=-B*L*u and from ohms law i=-(B*L*u)/R

1. What is induced voltage?

Induced voltage is a voltage that is created in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. This can happen when the conductor moves through a magnetic field or when the magnetic field around the conductor changes.

2. How is induced voltage calculated?

Induced voltage is calculated using Faraday's law of induction, which states that the magnitude of the induced voltage is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the conductor. It can be calculated using the formula E = -N dΦ/dt, where E is the induced voltage, N is the number of turns in the conductor, and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of magnetic flux.

3. What is self-inductance?

Self-inductance is a property of a circuit or a conductor that describes the ability of the circuit or conductor to resist changes in the current flowing through it. It is represented by the symbol L and is measured in henrys (H).

4. What is mutual inductance?

Mutual inductance is a property of two circuits or conductors that describes the ability of one circuit or conductor to induce a voltage in the other. It is represented by the symbol M and is also measured in henrys (H).

5. How does inductance affect the behavior of a circuit?

Inductance affects the behavior of a circuit by causing a delay in the flow of current through the circuit. This is because an inductor resists changes in current and stores energy in its magnetic field. This can lead to effects such as voltage spikes and phase shifts in the circuit.