Temporarily powering 5.5v board from 2.5v ethernet cable

In summary: Q3) Can anyone give me a rough idea what this circuit should look like and what the specs of the capacitor should be?It would be best to consult a technician who is familiar with power supply design. A capacitor rated for 5.5 volts would be a good start, though it may be necessary to increase the voltage if your circuit demands more juice than the supply can provide.
kzgrey
I'm not an EE. I'm a Software Engineer.

I would like to build a small circuit that would leach power from an active 2.5v Ethernet line to charge a capacitor very slowly (over a timespan of 1-2 minutes). When the capacitor is fully charged, it would then discharge at 5.5v to power a circuit containing an Atmel chip and an I2C sensor.

Q1) Is this possible?
Q2) Would charging the capacitor block traffic over the Ethernet cable?
Q3) Can anyone give me a rough idea what this circuit should look like and what the specs of the capacitor should be?

Alternatively, can someone refer me to an EE who could design this for me?

Engineering news on Phys.org
kzgrey said:
I would like to build a small circuit that would leach power from an active 2.5v Ethernet line to charge a capacitor very slowly (over a timespan of 1-2 minutes). When the capacitor is fully charged, it would then discharge at 5.5v to power a circuit containing an Atmel chip and an I2C sensor.

Q1) Is this possible?
Probably, providing your circuit doesn't draw much current. (To supply 10mA at 5.5V may equate to taking, say, 30mA from the Ethernet.)

It's not clear for how long you wish to power your circuit, but I assume its for some minutes, at least?

Q2) Would charging the capacitor block traffic over the Ethernet cable?
It would, but this could probably be prevented by incorporating a filter to block that data signal. An RF choke built around a ferrite core should do the job, allowing the DC through but isolating your circuit from the digital data on the line.

Beyond this general discussion, I can't help much though.

Have you looked at the PoE standard?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet

There are commercial plug and play adaptors designed to inject and extract the power from standard Ethernet cable. You can also build the circuit into your device if you don't want a physically separate unit.

I cannot provide a definitive answer without more information about the specific components and design of the circuit. However, in general, it is possible to temporarily power a 5.5v board from a 2.5v Ethernet cable by using a capacitor to store and regulate the voltage.

Q1) Yes, it is possible to use a capacitor to slowly charge and then discharge at a higher voltage to power a circuit.

Q2) Charging the capacitor should not block traffic over the Ethernet cable as long as the circuit is designed properly and does not interfere with the data transmission.

Q3) The design of the circuit and the specifications of the capacitor will depend on the specific components and requirements of the project. It is recommended to consult with an experienced EE for assistance in designing and building the circuit.

Alternatively, you can also research and learn more about power regulation and capacitor selection to design the circuit yourself. There are many online resources and tutorials available that can guide you in the process.

I hope this information helps and good luck with your project!

1. How can a 5.5v board be powered from a 2.5v ethernet cable?

The 5.5v board can be powered from a 2.5v ethernet cable by using a voltage regulator. This component will step down the voltage from 5.5v to 2.5v, allowing the board to be powered safely without damaging it.

2. What type of voltage regulator should be used for this setup?

The voltage regulator used should have a minimum input voltage of 5.5v and a maximum output voltage of 2.5v. It is also recommended to use a linear regulator, as it is more stable and less likely to introduce noise into the circuit.

3. Is it safe to use a 2.5v ethernet cable to power a 5.5v board?

As long as a voltage regulator is used to step down the voltage, it is safe to use a 2.5v ethernet cable to power a 5.5v board. Without a voltage regulator, the higher voltage could potentially damage the board.

4. Can this setup be used for other voltage levels?

Yes, this setup can be used for other voltage levels as long as the voltage regulator used can handle the input and output voltage requirements. However, it is important to note that the input voltage should always be higher than the output voltage to ensure proper regulation.

5. Are there any other precautions that should be taken when temporarily powering a 5.5v board from a 2.5v ethernet cable?

It is important to make sure that the voltage regulator is properly connected and mounted to avoid any short circuits. Additionally, it is recommended to use a multimeter to confirm the output voltage of the regulator before connecting it to the 5.5v board.