Absorption Coefficient of Aluminium

In summary, the absorption coefficient of aluminium for beta radiation is a function of the energy of the electrons and requires specification of the mean energy or energy range for a meaningful number. It can be found through sources such as the "particle data group" or through Google searches.
Lizze
Hi. I am new here! I'm doing a experiment on the absorption of beta radiation of aluminium and I need help! :redface: Does anyone know what the absorption coefficient of aluminium? Or at least where I can find it. Thanks in advance! o:)

P.S. Sorry if I've posted in the wrong part of the forum :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't tell you where to find this info, but I can tell you that the absorption coefficient is a function of the energy of the electrons. So, you'd have to specify the mean energy (or energy range) to have a meaningful number.

Google found some data:
http://prola.aps.org/pdf/PR/v103/i6/p1900_2
http://www.physics.northwestern.edu/new335/PDF/lab4.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
The "particle data group" used to have a small pdf about properties of the materials, with this kind of information.

arivero said:
The "particle data group" used to have a small pdf about properties of the materials, with this kind of information.

is it still there? :confused:

1. What is the absorption coefficient of aluminium?

The absorption coefficient of aluminium refers to the measure of how much light or radiation is absorbed by a material as it passes through it. It is a unitless quantity and is typically represented by the symbol α.

2. How is the absorption coefficient of aluminium determined?

The absorption coefficient of aluminium is determined by conducting experiments where a known amount of light or radiation is passed through a sample of aluminium and the amount of light that is absorbed is measured. This data is then used to calculate the absorption coefficient using a specific equation.

3. What factors can affect the absorption coefficient of aluminium?

The absorption coefficient of aluminium can be affected by various factors, such as the thickness and purity of the aluminium sample, the wavelength of the light or radiation being used, and the temperature and pressure of the environment in which the sample is being tested.

4. How does the absorption coefficient of aluminium differ from other materials?

The absorption coefficient of aluminium can vary significantly from other materials, as it is highly dependent on its composition, structure, and properties. Additionally, different materials may have different absorption coefficients at different wavelengths of light or radiation.

5. Why is the absorption coefficient of aluminium important?

The absorption coefficient of aluminium is an important parameter in various fields such as optics, material science, and engineering. It is used to understand how light or radiation interacts with aluminium and can be used to design and optimize various applications, such as solar panels, optical filters, and reflective coatings.