My Solar Progress: August Electric Bill Savings

• Thread starter Chi Meson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solar
In summary: This just in: My August electric bill. August was the first full month (Billing cycle month, that is) in which my solar hot water heater has been fully functional. Compared to August 2006, my consumption of electricity has gone from 27 kWh/day, to 15 kWh/day. At $.16 per kWh, that's $2.43 per day, as opposed to $4.42 per day.Realized savings for the first month: $61.69Final cost of system: $3600 - 30%(Federal tax credit)= $2520At this rate, payback will occur in 3 years, 5 months. But of course,
Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
This just in: My August electric bill. August was the first full month (Billing cycle month, that is) in which my solar hot water heater has been fully functional. Compared to August 2006, my consumption of electricity has gone from 27 kWh/day, to 15 kWh/day.

At $.16 per kWh, that's $2.43 per day, as opposed to $4.42 per day.

Realized savings for the first month: $61.69

Final cost of system: $3600 - 30%(Federal tax credit)= $2520

At this rate, payback will occur in 3 years, 5 months. But of course, this will not be the case since there will be less sun in the coming months.

It is my conjecture however, that even more will be saved during the temperate months since during the summer we tend to use the least amount of hot water. A lot of electric use was for the whole-house fan and the dehumidifiers (and refrigerator).

I'm going to go burn some tires in celebration!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yikes 3 years minimum? Anything over 18 months is too high. Too much can change after that.

Thrice said:
Yikes 3 years minimum? Anything over 18 months is too high. Too much can change after that.

I'm sorry, but we can't be talking about the same thing. Up here, in the Northeast US, for a major solar hot water installation a payback sooner than 8 years is considered good. For a PV system, payback is considered excellent if it occurs within 10 years. If one is lucky enough to live in a non-freeze zone, where all is needed is little more than a black plastic bag, I suppose an 18 month payback is expected. What kind of system are you referring to?

"Too much can change after that"? The only thing that will significantly change in the next decade is the rates will double or triple.

3 years is better than I would have expected. That subsidy is a nice gift.

Plus you should be getting income tax and state rebates, here in MI, a system like yours would credit you almost 1000 dollars to your state taxes.

Plus you're actually saving energy. Let's not forget that! The fact that it also saves money is a bonus.

- Warren

hypatia said:
Plus you should be getting income tax and state rebates, here in MI, a system like yours would credit you almost 1000 dollars to your state taxes.

There is no state incentive in Connecticut for solar hot water.

Chi Meson said:
I'm sorry, but we can't be talking about the same thing. Up here, in the Northeast US, for a major solar hot water installation a payback sooner than 8 years is considered good. For a PV system, payback is considered excellent if it occurs within 10 years. If one is lucky enough to live in a non-freeze zone, where all is needed is little more than a black plastic bag, I suppose an 18 month payback is expected. What kind of system are you referring to?

"Too much can change after that"? The only thing that will significantly change in the next decade is the rates will double or triple.
I mostly deal with IT & it's a faster field, but I can't help but think there are better investments to be made. Money right now is much more valuable than money over a period of time & a 10 year payback period is pretty much like throwing it away. Also are there any additional operation/maintenance costs? Any chance the tech will improve in ~2 years?

A bit of googling & it seems high payback periods are typical. Alternative energy has some ways to go before it's mainstream.

Chi Meson said:
But of course, this will not be the case since there will be less sun in the coming months.
The true test will come in December/Jan around the Winter Solstice, and during Jan/Feb/March depending on the cloud cover and precipitation.

Thrice said:
Money right now is much more valuable than money over a period of time & a 10 year payback period is pretty much like throwing it away.

See Warren's post

croot said:
Plus you're actually saving energy. Let's not forget that! The fact that it also saves money is a bonus.

with which I heartily agree.

Chi Meson, this is cool! Or should I say hot!

Thrice said:
I mostly deal with IT & it's a faster field

Information Technology is a faster field than Active-Closed loop Glycol Solar Hot Water Heating? Are we even close to talking about the same thing?

What is "My Solar Progress: August Electric Bill Savings"?

"My Solar Progress: August Electric Bill Savings" is a report that tracks and displays the amount of money saved on your August electric bill after installing a solar energy system.

How is the amount of savings calculated?

The savings are calculated by comparing your August electric bill before and after installing the solar energy system. The difference between the two bills is the amount of money saved.

What factors can affect the savings on my electric bill?

The amount of savings can vary depending on factors such as the size and efficiency of your solar energy system, your location, and your energy usage habits.

Will my savings continue to increase each month?

While the savings may not increase significantly each month, they should remain consistent over time as long as your solar energy system is functioning properly and you continue to use it as your primary source of electricity.

Can I expect to see a significant decrease in my electric bill after installing a solar energy system?

The amount of savings can vary depending on your location and other factors, but on average, homeowners can expect to see a decrease of 50-70% in their electric bill after installing a solar energy system.