Calculating FRF & Coherence between Acceleration Signals

In summary, you have two stationary acceleration signals that have different lengths, and you want to calculate the frf between them. You can average the FRFs between the realizations, and use the windows functions to evaluate the transfer function.
serbring
Hello, I'm a newbie of signal processing, I would like to calculate a frf between two acceleration signals. I have several realizations of each signal. These signals are stationaries and they aren't triggered, so signal arrays doesn't have the same length. I have got these acceleration signal by two accelerometer placed at the top and at the bottom of a suspensed element. These element should have a natural frequency in working condition roughly of 2/3Hz.
How can I have a good frf and the coherence function estimations between the two signals? Can I simpy average frf and coherence function of every realizations? I hope to have well explained my problem, if there are any doubt, I will give all the necessary information

Engineering news on Phys.org
Anyone can help me?

serbring said:
Hello, I'm a newbie of signal processing, I would like to calculate a frf between two acceleration signals. I have several realizations of each signal. These signals are stationaries and they aren't triggered, so signal arrays doesn't have the same length. I have got these acceleration signal by two accelerometer placed at the top and at the bottom of a suspensed element. These element should have a natural frequency in working condition roughly of 2/3Hz.
How can I have a good frf and the coherence function estimations between the two signals? Can I simpy average frf and coherence function of every realizations? I hope to have well explained my problem, if there are any doubt, I will give all the necessary information

I'm not sure that the ME forum is the right place for your question. Could you please give more details about the setup? If you can present more details, maybe it will make sense to move this thread to EE or elsewhere.

serbring said:

Ok, let me try to figure out what you are trying to find.

It's a FRF of a structure, where both input and output are measured by accelerometers.

What do you mean by a realization? The system is being excited continuously, and a realization is a period of time where you perform the signal acquisition?

Is the excitation a white noise? Or, at least, can you consider it white noise? Does it matter where you crop the signals, in order to perform the calculations?

If it doesn't matter, go for the average of FRFs between the "realizations". Don't forget to apply the windows functions, as needed, and to use the transfer function evaluation through power spectra.

1. What is the purpose of calculating FRF and coherence between acceleration signals?

The purpose of calculating FRF (Frequency Response Function) and coherence between acceleration signals is to analyze the dynamic behavior and response of a system. These measurements can provide valuable information about the natural frequencies, damping ratios, and transfer functions of the system.

2. How are FRF and coherence calculated?

FRF is calculated by taking the ratio of the output acceleration to the input acceleration in the frequency domain. Coherence is calculated by comparing the power of the input and output signals at each frequency. Both calculations involve using a Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) algorithm.

3. What type of data is needed to calculate FRF and coherence?

To calculate FRF and coherence, you will need acceleration data from both the input and output signals. This data can be collected using accelerometers placed on the system at the input and output locations.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of FRF and coherence calculations?

The accuracy of FRF and coherence calculations can be affected by factors such as noise in the signals, sensor placement and orientation, and the frequency range and resolution of the data. It is important to carefully collect and process the data to minimize these sources of error.

5. How can FRF and coherence be used in practical applications?

The results of FRF and coherence calculations can be used to validate simulation models, diagnose issues with a system, and optimize the design of mechanical or structural components. In industrial applications, these measurements can also be used to monitor the health and performance of machinery, and predict potential failures before they occur.