End Plate Design For a Heat Exchanger

In summary, the speaker is designing an end-plate for a heat exchanger and is considering using FEA to determine an appropriate thickness. The design parameters include a shell and tube HX with a maximum operating temperature of 1100 F, 59 1" SS 304 tubes in a staggered pattern, and a 12" shell OD. The end-plates modulus of elasticity is assumed to be 13% as a perforated plate. The speaker is also considering preheating the tubes before welding them to the end-plate and is concerned about the stresses on the end-plate due to thermal expansion. They have found some helpful resources, but are still unsure about the placement of holes on the end-plate. Another
cpizzleo
I am currently in the process of designing an end-plate for a heat exchanger. I know I can do what I am about to ask with FEA, but that is not feasible right now. Here are the design parameters:
Shell and tube HX, Max operating Temp=1100 F, 59 1" SS 304 Tubes, staggered pattern, 12" Shell OD (The tubes occupy 43% of the end-plate area; in other words, (# of Tubes*Dt^2)/Ds^2=.43). I found that the end-plates modulus of elasticity can be assumed to be 13% as a perforated plate with this design.

The ends of the tubes will be welded onto the end-plate which will be welded to the inside of the shell. I am concerned that the stresses on the end-plate due to thermal expansion of the pipe will lead to failure, so I am trying to find an appropriate thickness for the endplate. I did find a few good sites. One of which is:
http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/Mechanics/Plates.html.
The problem is I have holes that are not in the center of the end plate.

Also, I was thinking an "outside the box" solution would be to preheat the tubes when welding them to the end-plate.

Engineering news on Phys.org
cpizzleo: I do not foresee someone solving this problem without using FEA. Each tube will apply a different force to the end plate based on tube location (radius) from the end plate center, and based on end plate thickness (stiffness).

Maybe a sensible solution would be to put a slight bend, (or spiral), in every tube. That would convert the very high axial stress during operation into a much lower tube bending stress. End plate specifications could then be considerably relaxed.

1. What is the purpose of an end plate in a heat exchanger?

An end plate is used to seal the ends of a heat exchanger, creating a closed system for the transfer of heat between two fluids. It also provides structural support for the exchanger and helps to maintain the proper flow of fluids through the device.

2. How is the size of an end plate determined?

The size of an end plate is typically determined by the dimensions of the heat exchanger and the type of fluid being used. Factors such as pressure, temperature, and flow rate also play a role in determining the appropriate size of the end plate.

3. What materials are commonly used for end plates in heat exchangers?

End plates can be made from a variety of materials, including metals such as stainless steel, aluminum, and titanium. The choice of material will depend on the specific application and the required strength and durability of the end plate.

4. How are end plates attached to a heat exchanger?

End plates can be attached to a heat exchanger using various methods, including welding, bolting, or adhesive bonding. The chosen method will depend on the material of the end plate and the heat exchanger, as well as the desired level of strength and ease of installation.

5. Are there any design considerations for end plates in heat exchangers?

Yes, there are several design considerations for end plates in heat exchangers. These include ensuring proper alignment with the heat exchanger tubes, allowing for expansion and contraction of the materials, and providing adequate support and sealing for the ends of the exchanger. It is important to carefully consider these factors to ensure the efficient and safe operation of the heat exchanger.