Statements Based on a Heat Exchanger

In summary, the following conversation covered the experiment done using three types of heat exchangers, double-pipe, shell in tube and plate type. The flow rate was measured with a rotameter. There are multiple true answers to the following questions: Q1- 1 or 4 (definitely not 2 or 3), Q2- maybe 1 (definitely not 4), and Q3- what was the flow rate measured in? Part 1 is definitional while part 3 could go either way depending on the setup. There are two more questions.
tomadevil

Homework Statement

Hello Everyone,

We did an experiment using 3 types of heat exchangers this week, double-pipe, shell in tube and plate type. Water was flowing in the HEs, the temperature was set. We had to change the flow-rate only. After the experiment, we were given lots of online question. Some of them are very tricky and I am not really sure which one is the correct one. The questions are the following:
1.jpg
2.jpg

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

My guesses are the following:
Q1- 1 or 4 (definitely not 2 or 3)
Q2- maybe 1 (definitely not 4)Could you help me out, please?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 347
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 296
Physics news on Phys.org
Each of the questions may have multiple true answers.
What was used to measure flow rate?

Yes, I noticed it. :)
Sorry, I was wrong. It is a rotameter that was used to measure the flowrate.

Asymptotic said:
Each of the questions may have multiple true answers.
What was used to measure flow rate?
Any idea for Question 1.?

tomadevil said:
Any idea for Question 1.?
Are corrugated flat plates used in a double pipe heat exchanger design? Answering this correctly eliminates two of the possibilities.

Asymptotic said:
Are corrugated flat plates used in a double pipe heat exchanger design? Answering this correctly eliminates two of the possibilities.
No, definitely not.
I think the answers are 1 and 4 for Q1 and Q2 also. I just would like someone to confirm if I am right:)

tomadevil said:
No, definitely not.
I think the answers are 1 and 4 for Q1 and Q2 also. I just would like someone to confirm if I am right:)
This appears to be true of question 1.
Only you can answer Q2, part 2 - it depends on your experimental setup - and Q2, part 3 could go either way depending upon whether "co-flow" means concurrent flow versus counter-current flow.

Asymptotic said:
This appears to be true of question 1.
Only you can answer Q2, part 2 - it depends on your experimental setup - and Q2, part 3 could go either way depending upon whether "co-flow" means concurrent flow versus counter-current flow.
Part 2 is definitely no.
Part 3, hmmm. That's a good question. I guess I need to ask my tutor because it could mean both as you said. Thanks.
There are two more questions:
4.jpg
6.jpg

I believe the answer for Q4 is part 1, definitely not part 3.
I really don't know the answer for Q6.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 696
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 702
tomadevil said:
Part 2 is definitely no.
Part 3, hmmm. That's a good question. I guess I need to ask my tutor because it could mean both as you said. Thanks.
There are two more questions:
View attachment 214883 View attachment 214884

I believe the answer for Q4 is part 1, definitely not part 3.
I really don't know the answer for Q6.
Both questions 4 and 6 contain answers that are definitional (time to re-read the lesson text) while others depend on your specific test setup. You'd learn little if I provided answers in the case of the former, and the latter are impossible to answer with the data you've provided.

1. What is a heat exchanger?

A heat exchanger is a device that transfers thermal energy between two or more fluids, often at different temperatures. It is used in many industrial and commercial applications to efficiently heat or cool fluids.

2. How does a heat exchanger work?

A heat exchanger works by allowing two fluids to flow in close proximity to each other, without mixing, and exchanging heat through a barrier. This barrier can be made of a variety of materials, such as metal or plastic, and can take different shapes, such as coils or plates.

3. What factors affect the performance of a heat exchanger?

The performance of a heat exchanger depends on several factors, including the design of the exchanger, the properties of the fluids being exchanged, the flow rate of the fluids, and the temperature difference between the two fluids.

4. What are the different types of heat exchangers?

There are several types of heat exchangers, including shell and tube, plate and frame, and spiral heat exchangers. Each type has its own advantages and is suitable for different applications.

5. How do you maintain a heat exchanger?

To maintain a heat exchanger, regular cleaning and inspection is necessary to prevent buildup of deposits or corrosion. The heat exchanger should also be operated within its design parameters and any leaks or damages should be repaired promptly.