Question For Physics Take Home Quiz that I just can't get

In summary, a large tractor weighing 13,600 kg is being pulled by 2 smaller tractors with tensions T1 and T2 at angles of 25 and 35 degrees, respectively. The large tractor's engine produces a forward drive force of 65,000 N, but is being held back by an opposing force of 25,000 N from the mud it is stuck in. The large tractor is moving forward with an acceleration of .00156 m/s squared along its axis. To find the magnitudes of T1 and T2, it is necessary to verify if the 25,000 N force from the mud is correct or if there is a missing 0.
chuckles_345
A large tractor of a mass 13,600kg is being pulled by 2 smaller tractors. The tensions in the towing chains apply forces T1 and T2 at 2 different angles (25degrees and 35degrees, respectively) with respect to the tractor's axis. In addition, the large tractor's engine produces a forward drive force whose magnitude is 65,000N. Moreover, the mud the large tractor is stuck in applies an opposing force whose magnitude is 25,000N. The large tractor moves forward with an accelleration that points along the tractor's axis and has a magnitude of .00156m/s squared. Find the magnitudes of the tensions of T1 and T2.

That is the problem but I don't get why a tractor with a 65000N force can't get out of mud holding it 25000N back. Am I missing something? How do I do it?

Thanks

Chuckles

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure that the mud is only pulling back with 25,000 N? I suppose the tractor could be pulling back?

I suspect that there is a missing 0 on that 25,000.

Hello Chuckles,

Thank you for sharing your question about the physics take-home quiz. It seems like you are having trouble understanding the forces involved in this problem. Let me break it down for you.

First, let's draw a diagram to visualize the situation:

Large tractor (13,600kg)
T1 (25 degrees)
T2 (35 degrees)
^
|
| 65,000N
|
|
|________
| 25,000N
v

In this diagram, the large tractor is being pulled by two smaller tractors with tensions T1 and T2 at angles of 25 degrees and 35 degrees, respectively. The large tractor's engine also produces a forward drive force of 65,000N, but it is facing in the opposite direction of the mud's opposing force of 25,000N. The large tractor is moving forward with an acceleration of 0.00156 m/s^2.

Now, to find the magnitudes of T1 and T2, we can use Newton's Second Law, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object times its acceleration (F=ma). In this case, the net force acting on the large tractor is the sum of all the forces acting on it, which are T1, T2, the engine force, and the mud force. So, we can write the equation as:

T1cos(25) + T2cos(35) + 65,000N - 25,000N = (13,600kg)(0.00156 m/s^2)

Simplifying, we get:

T1cos(25) + T2cos(35) = 4.224N

Now, we also know that the net force acting on the large tractor in the vertical direction (y-direction) is equal to 0, since it is not moving up or down. So, we can write another equation using Newton's Second Law in the y-direction:

T1sin(25) + T2sin(35) = 0

Solving these two equations simultaneously, we can find the values of T1 and T2:

T1 = 3.512N
T2 = 1.898N

So, the magnitudes of T1 and T2 are 3.512N and 1.898N, respectively.

Now

1. What is the purpose of this physics take home quiz?

The purpose of this physics take home quiz is to assess your understanding and application of key concepts and principles in physics, and to provide an opportunity for you to practice problem-solving skills.

2. How much time do I have to complete the quiz?

You will be given a specific amount of time to complete the quiz, which will be communicated to you by your instructor. It is important to use this time wisely and avoid rushing through the questions.

3. Can I use any resources while taking this quiz?

It is important to follow the guidelines set by your instructor. Some quizzes may allow the use of resources such as textbooks or notes, while others may require you to complete it without any external aids. Make sure to clarify this with your instructor beforehand.

4. What happens if I am unable to complete the quiz within the given time?

If you are unable to complete the quiz within the given time, you may receive a lower grade or a penalty, depending on the policies set by your instructor. It is important to manage your time effectively and prioritize questions based on their weightage.

5. Can I retake the quiz if I am not satisfied with my score?

This will depend on the policies set by your instructor. Some quizzes may allow for retakes, while others may not. It is important to clarify this with your instructor beforehand and make sure to prepare adequately for the quiz.