Measuring RPMs with a Digital Multimeter

In summary, the conversation is discussing different methods for measuring the RPM of a DC motor using a Digital Multimeter (DMM). One idea is to use a flywheel with a magnet and a Hall-effect sensor, while another suggestion is to use a flywheel with a slot and a photoresistor. The latter is believed to be a better option due to less noise interference. This method is referred to as an encoder and can be easily found through a web search.
LittleBrother
I have a Digital Multimeter (DMM) which also measures frequency. Can this be used somehow to show RPM's of a DC motor while it is running at various stable speeds? Or is there an inexpensive device which can be used to show RPM's?

If I have to build a device, my thoughts are to mount a sort of flywheel on the shaft of the motor with a magnet attached to the flywheel. The magnet would pass by a Hall-effect sensor. Then I could feed the output from the sensor to the DMM. Would this work?

An alternative would be to use a flywheel with a slot cut into it, along with a light source aimed through the slot, and a photoresistor on the other side, then feed the output to the DMM.

Thoughts anyone?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think your alternative idea would be the best. I've got a feeling that the photo-sensors would be much less noisy than a Hall probe.

You are making what is called an encoder (consider that a key word for a web search) A common low precision form of encoder, a vane encoder, is similar to what you describe, frequently the wheel will have multiple slots.

1. How do I measure RPMs with a digital multimeter?

To measure RPMs with a digital multimeter, you will need to use the frequency or hertz function. Set your multimeter to the frequency or hertz mode and connect the test leads to the signal source. The multimeter will then display the frequency in hertz, which can be converted to RPMs using the formula RPM = (Hz x 60)/P, where P is the number of pulses per revolution.

2. What type of signal can I measure RPMs with a digital multimeter?

A digital multimeter can measure the RPMs of any signal that has a frequency or pulse rate. This includes signals from motor shafts, fans, and other rotating equipment.

3. Can I measure RPMs in both clockwise and counterclockwise directions with a digital multimeter?

Yes, a digital multimeter can measure RPMs in both clockwise and counterclockwise directions. However, some multimeters may have a polarity setting that needs to be adjusted for the direction of rotation.

4. Do I need any additional tools to measure RPMs with a digital multimeter?

In addition to a digital multimeter, you may need a tachometer adapter or an inductive pickup to measure RPMs. These tools can help you connect the multimeter to the rotating equipment and provide a more accurate reading.

5. Is it safe to measure RPMs with a digital multimeter?

As long as you follow proper safety precautions and use the multimeter according to the manufacturer's instructions, it is safe to measure RPMs with a digital multimeter. However, it is always recommended to have a trained professional handle any electrical measurements to ensure safety.