Area of a circle and pi and generally area

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of pi and its relationship to finding the area and circumference of a circle. The group discusses the origins of pi and its use in mathematical formulas, such as A = (pi)(r)^2 and C = 2(pi)r. They also explore the idea of measuring lengths and the assumptions behind pi's definition. Ultimately, they conclude that pi is a constant ratio between a circle's circumference and diameter.
RadiantL
So I always wondered why you multiply by pi when you're finding an area of a circle, for a rectangle you multiply by length and width, I guess that makes sense...

How I see multiplying a length and width is if you have a length of 5 cm and a width of 4 cm, I imagine you just stack 4, 5 cm sticks on top of each other and you get the area is this how it works?

Anyway I have trouble memorizing formulas for area of a circles and cylinders and such and I am sure I would be better at recalling them if I knew why they are... what they are.

A = (pi)(r)^2

What's with pi?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Also interested in this as well, I've always thought that circumference of a full circle arises from 2*pi*r because radius multiplied by central angle gives you the arc length, and by taking the integral of this with respect to r, you get pi*r^2.

and if you integrate a circle of radius R using polar coordinates, you can change the value of theta to give you the area of swathes within the circle, so pi will change on the basis of whether or not you're dealing with a full circle.

Last edited:
Very nice website. I loved the area explanation.

I was famous for saying this here on PF years ago, so I say it again:

Strictly speaking, the circle has no area. If it did, it would be 0.

dextercioby said:
I was famous for saying this here on PF years ago, so I say it again:

Strictly speaking, the circle has no area. If it did, it would be 0.

well, ok. we should be saying "the area enclosed by a circle", or the area of a circular region (or the area of a regular disc). do you want fries with that?

Or "area of the disk".

It's because pie is defined as the ratio of your upper lip and the length of the curve around your mouth and eyes. :biggrin:

Pengwuino said:
But why is the circumference of a circle [itex]2 \pi r[/itex] :biggrin:
i honestly don't know why, i didn't design this universe.

Pengwuino said:
I realize you're speaking tongue-in-cheek, but the real question would be "Why is the circumference of a circle proportional to its diameter?" π is simply the proportionality constant for that relation, by definition.

Redbelly98 said:
I realize you're speaking tongue-in-cheek, but the real question would be "Why is the circumference of a circle proportional to its diameter?" π is simply the proportionality constant for that relation, by definition.

Because the units work out.

I love physics.

Pengwuino said:
Because the units work out.

I love physics.

This made me cringe. :yuck:
To each their own I suppose.

Pengwuino said:

Pi is defined as the ratio of the circumference of the circle to the diameter of that circle originally.

Do this experiment : Draw circles with compass of different radius and measure their circumference by using a thread or a string : Enclose circle boundary with thread and then measure that part of thread with a ruler.

You will find that : C1/D1=C2/D=...=Cn/Dn = pi

So C/D = pi
or C=2*pi*R since D=2R

Here are proofs of area of circle : https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=529014

gsal , that site is also nice which you gave !

sankalpmittal said:
Pi is defined as the ratio of the circumference of the circle to the diameter of that circle originally.

i have a problem with this, which is:

what is "circumference"? a closely related question is: "what is diameter"?

if you answer something like: "diameter is the length of the longest possible line segment across the circle", or perhaps "the length of any line segment from a point on the circle, through the center of a circle, and terminating at a point on the opposite side of the circle", i would still want to know, what is this "length" thing we are talking about. how do we tell when two lengths are the same, and how do we tell which of two unequal lengths is longer?

if you answer, "we measure them, and compare", i again ask, "how is it we measure things"?

what KINDS of objects qualify as "measurements of lengths", and how do we know that this is a "proper" description (logically consistent)?

now, this is kind of unfair, i actually know the answers to these questions. but i would humbly submit, that when a 6-th grader, for example, is given the definition:

"pi is the ratio of a circle's circumference to it's diameter"

there are several "hidden assumptions"

1) circumference can be unambiguously measured
2) diameter can be unambiguously measured
3) circumference and diameter are "comparable" (the same kind of number), and we may form their ratio (suggests a notion of division)
4) this ratio is always the same, regardless of the length of the diameter (pi is constant)

all of these statements are provable, but some of them are subtler than others.

You have me thinking now, and I hope it’s OK to ask a question here. I am not sure, but is this true 2 ∏ = circumference?

logmode said:
You have me thinking now, and I hope it’s OK to ask a question here. I am not sure, but is this true 2 ∏ = circumference?
[tex] C=2\pi r ~~ or ~~C=\pi D[/tex]

Am I correct, ∏ is 3.14 radians. If so, 360 degrees is a circle, which is the circumference. 360 degrees converted to radians is 360 x ∏/180 = 2∏, Where am I thinking wrong?

logmode said:
Am I correct, ∏ is 3.14 radians. If so, 360 degrees is a circle,
which is the circumference. 360 degrees converted to radians is 360 x ∏/180 = 2∏,
Where am I thinking wrong?

[itex]\pi \ \ radians \ \ is \ \ approximately \ \ 3.14 \ \ radians. [/itex]

(You need the units on each number for equality.)

[itex]360°\bigg(\dfrac{\pi \ radians}{180°}\bigg) \ = \ 2\pi \ radians[/itex]

Thank you, yes units are important, but what about the answer? C=2∏,
360* ( ∏ radians/180* ) = 2∏ radians = circumference in radians = 360* (.0174) = 6.28, so two PI equals circumference. C=2∏ ,but what was said was C=2∏r.
sorry for my confusion.

My mistakes were thinking that PI was only in radians, and 3.14 radians is equal to half the circumference. But I now know that PI is a little bigger (3.14 bigger) than three diameters of the circle, and radian is the length of radius. Thank you!

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a circle?

The formula for finding the area of a circle is A = πr2, where A is the area and r is the radius of the circle.

2. How do you find the radius of a circle if the area is given?

To find the radius of a circle when the area is given, you can rearrange the formula for area to solve for r. So, r = √(A/π).

3. Why is pi used in the formula for finding the area of a circle?

Pi (π) is a mathematical constant that represents the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. It is used in the formula for finding the area of a circle because it helps us calculate the area based on the radius, which is half of the diameter.

4. Can pi be approximated with a decimal number?

Yes, pi can be approximated with a decimal number. It is commonly approximated as 3.14, but it is actually an irrational number that goes on infinitely without repeating.

5. Can the formula for finding the area of a circle be applied to other shapes?

No, the formula for finding the area of a circle, A = πr2, is specific to circles. Other shapes have their own formulas for finding area, such as A = bh for triangles and A = lw for rectangles.