Tags: frame, rotating, transform
Share this thread:
climbon
Jul9-12, 04:53 AM
P: 18
Hi,

I have an equation of the form;

[tex]
\frac{d}{dt}(W) = \omega \left(x \frac{\partial}{\partial y} - y \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \right) W + g \frac{\partial}{\partial y} W + k x \frac{\partial^2}{\partial y^2} W
[/tex]

I want to change it into the rotating frame using the transform;

x = x' cos(wt) - y' sin(wt)
y = x' sin(wt) + y' cos(wt)

I have calculated the derivatives of these transforms to be;

[tex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial x} = -cos(\omega t) \frac{\partial}{\partial x'} - sin(\omega t) \frac{\partial}{\partial y'}
\\
\frac{\partial}{\partial y} = -cos(\omega t) \frac{\partial}{\partial y'} + sin(\omega t) \frac{\partial}{\partial x'}
\\
\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} = -cos^(2)(\omega t) \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x'^2} - sin^(2)(\omega t) \frac{\partial^2}{\partial y'^2}
[/tex]

I am assuming I can just substitute these transforms for x, y and their derivatives into the original equation and this will give me the original equation in the rotating frame...but do I have to do something with the time derivative on the L.H.S of the original equation??

Thank you.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
Prions can trigger 'stuck' wine fermentations, researchers find
Socially-assistive robots help kids with autism learn by providing personalized prompts

Register to reply