Thermodynamics - Energy analysis of piston-cylinder device

In summary, The conversation is about a homework question involving finding the boundary work for an ideal gas at constant temperature. The answers for parts (a) and (c) are given, but the problem lies in finding the answer for part (b). The only known information is that P=500kPa and Vb=0.0551898 m^3. The formula for boundary work is discussed, with the professor mentioning that for real gases undergoing an isothermal process, the integral in the equation would be done numerically.
eh87
Hello :)

I'm having trouble working on this homework question (please see attachment). The answers are supposed to be
a) 22.61 KJ
b) 36.79 KJ
c) 151.8*C

I solved (a) and I noticed that the answer to (c) is that saturation temperature at 500kPa, but I just cannot get (b)! In fact, I'm not really sure I even know what's given for part (b). Obviously P=500kPa, but what else is known? Would Vb = 0.6(Va) = 0.0551898 m^3 ? It seems like I need another intensive property (other than P) to identify the state as a start.

help :confused:

Attachments

• 4-9.JPG
    4-9.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 483
Engineering news on Phys.org
I just read the sticky about homework. Sorry.

So I worked on it some more, just trying to understand the darn thing.. and yes, [tex]V_{b}[/tex] = 0.0551898 m^3. Now which formula to use for boundary work?

For constant temp and an ideal gas, I know the formula:
[tex]W_{b}[/tex] = [tex]\int[/tex][tex]mRT/V[/tex]dV = mRT*ln([tex]V_{2}[/tex]/[tex]V_{1}[/tex])

But prof said that for real gases undergoing an isothermal process, the integral in the boundary work equation "would be done numerically." What does that mean??

1. What is the purpose of energy analysis in a piston-cylinder device?

The purpose of energy analysis in a piston-cylinder device is to evaluate and quantify the energy transfers and transformations that occur within the system. This helps in understanding the efficiency of the device and identifying areas for improvement.

2. What are the different types of energy transfers that take place in a piston-cylinder device?

There are two main types of energy transfers in a piston-cylinder device: heat transfer and work transfer. Heat transfer occurs due to temperature differences between the system and its surroundings, while work transfer is the result of mechanical forces acting on the system.

3. How is the first law of thermodynamics applied to a piston-cylinder device?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred or transformed. In a piston-cylinder device, this law is applied by accounting for the energy input (heat and work) and the energy output (work) to determine the change in the internal energy of the system.

4. What is the significance of the second law of thermodynamics in energy analysis of a piston-cylinder device?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This law is important in energy analysis of a piston-cylinder device as it helps in determining the maximum possible efficiency of the device and identifying any energy losses that may occur.

5. How can the efficiency of a piston-cylinder device be improved based on energy analysis?

Based on energy analysis, the efficiency of a piston-cylinder device can be improved by minimizing energy losses such as frictional losses, heat losses, and pressure drops. This can be achieved by using better materials, optimizing the design and operating conditions, and implementing insulation and heat recovery systems.