Why Do Girls Scream? Exploring the Science Behind Female Vocalizations

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of girls screaming over small disturbances and even when they are happy. Some suggest it is an evolutionary response to signal their sexual maturity, while others attribute it to seeking attention. There are also jokes made about screaming being a form of training for marriage and a discussion on paying attention to someone who is screaming. The conversation ends with a joke about a member named pattylou.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
So why do they? It seems like girls will scream over the smallest disturbance and will even scream when they are overjoyed for some reason. What is with these people. Is it genetic? WHY!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sociological.

Pengwuino said:
So why do they? It seems like girls will scream over the smallest disturbance and will even scream when they are overjoyed for some reason. What is with these people. Is it genetic? WHY!

Because KING KONG IS COMING!

I know why they scream when I'm around, but that doesn't apply to everyone.

Seriously, I think that it's the sonic equivalent of skunk spray. It's hard to attack someone when your ears are bleeding.

Danger said:
I know why they scream when I'm around...
Is this a Beatlemania-type reaction or a Freddy Kruger-type reaction?

It's an evolutionary thing. >_>

Pengwuino, have you ever tried to look at yourself in a mirror before? :rofl:

Last edited:
I remember studying about this in anthropology- about the phenomenon of girls screaming at concerts, anyway. Supposedly, they are not screaming to draw the attention of the guys on stage, but are subconsciously signalling to the group as a whole that they are sexually mature females.

Depending on their age they scream because:
A. It's time for all of them to run into the other room and talk about how icky boys are or...
2. They want more attention from boys than they are currently getting.

Math Is Hard said:
I remember studying about this in anthropology- about the phenomenon of girls screaming at concerts, anyway. Supposedly, they are not screaming to draw the attention of the guys on stage, but are subconsciously signalling to the group as a whole that they are sexually mature females.

Ive seen too many of them signal their readiness to the mice :tongue:

Math Is Hard said:
I was thinking something along those lines. It has been said that the oft aggressive, loud, overtly sexual behaviour of groups of alpha-male types (you know the kinds: they start shouting "Oi, darlin, darlin! 'Ow abaht it? You and me! You and me!". If they are cockneys) is to compensate for the homosexual overtones of close male bonding. We shout to demonstrate that we are sexually immature males, despite the fact I just grabbed that guy's crotch.

So...

Ow abaht it, then?

Pengwuino said:
It's because we're ignored.

Stop denying you do it, and think about it.

Pengwuino said:
It's hard to understand, especially since you specifically said, "Close your eyes, girls, I'm coming in!" before walking into the girl's shower room. Not even a mention of the word 'scream' in your instructions.

Pengwuino said:
It's because they's CRAZY!

pattylou said:
It's because we're ignored.
Stop denying you do it, and think about it.

Screaming will get our attention. :rolleyes:

Pengwuino said:

They're training for marriage.

:uhh:

Ivan Seeking said:

I get a feeling we won't be seeing Ivan online for a long time after this :biggrin:

Maybe we *think* Girls scream more because the sound of their scream is more distinguishable compared to mens ones,

JasonRox said:
Screaming will get our attention. :rolleyes:

Screaming expresses frustration.

That I had to explain this, indicates that you may not have given my previous post much consideration or weight. IOW, you belittle me.

Consider it for a minute.

pattylou said:
That I had to explain this, indicates that you may not have given my previous post much consideration or weight. IOW, you belittle me.

If I'm not paying attention, then she's boring. Screaming will not get my attention.

Something physical will get my attention.

errmm yeh good point.. no wait its gone.. sorry I thought I understood then all of a sudden relised I didnt.. :rofl:

(joking)

JasonRox said:
If I'm not paying attention, then she's boring. Screaming will not get my attention.

Agreed. I'm easily bored by most people as it is. If she starts screaming, she's just going to get thrown out. Boring + Annoying = NEXT!

Ivan Seeking said:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: R.I.P. Ivan Seeking :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

On an unrelated note!:

I wonder if pattylou is going to come around and respond to this thread :wink:

Last edited:
Who's pattylou?

Bye, Ivan. It's been nice knowing you.

Pengwuino said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: R.I.P. Ivan Seeking :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I wonder if pattylou is going to come around and respond to this thread :wink:

*smacks Penguino with a trout*

You mean Tsu, noob! :bugeye:

cronxeh said:
*smacks Penguino with a trout*
You mean Tsu, noob! :bugeye:

No you noob, its a separate joke towards pattylou :P haven't you been reading the thread!

Pengwuino said:
No you noob, its a separate joke towards pattylou :P haven't you been reading the thread!

Why, you little!

http://www.thefunlist.com/images/humor/penguin.gif

You should have ignored him, Penguin. It so ruins the effect when you explain it. We could have kept that going for at least a couple of pages. :grumpy:

Danger said:
You should have ignored him, Penguin. It so ruins the effect when you explain it. We could have kept that going for at least a couple of pages. :grumpy:

You're right, look what you made me do cronxeh

Pengwuino said:
You're right, look what you made me do cronxeh

Hey have you seen Danger around? I wonder if he is ever coming back :zzz:

Too late, Cronxeh. You wrecked it. Besides, I don't mind being ignored. Sometimes, in fact, I prefer it. :tongue:

Two quick questions. What age groups are you guys talking about? How many females do you know that behave that way in real life?

P.S. TV does not count as real life.

Last edited:
honestrosewater said:
Two quick questions. What age groups are you guys talking about? How many females do you know that behave that way in real life?

Very true, but we are discussing girls in Pengwuino's age group, which is like 13-15 right?

honestrosewater said:

Every girl I've ever known seems to act this way :grumpy: From back until as far as i can remember up until early/late 20's. They all scream.