Pushing Supersonic: Beyond Sound Speed

• Thread starter daniel_i_l
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Supersonic
In summary, pushing one end of a pole faster than the speed of sound in the medium would result in a shock wave in the solid. This would cause stress waves to build up at the compressed end and eventually reach the other end, contributing to the overall motion of the pole. This phenomenon is similar to the transfer of energy in supersonic fluids through electromagnetic means.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
When you push one end of a pole the other end reacts (starts moving to) after the amount of time that it would take sound to travel to that side. So what happens when one end is pushed faster than the speed of sound?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The speed of sound is with respect to the pole.
The stress pulse always moves with that speed in the rest frame of the pole, independently of how the struck end moves.

daniel_i_l said:
When you push one end of a pole the other end reacts (starts moving to) after the amount of time that it would take sound to travel to that side. So what happens when one end is pushed faster than the speed of sound?
Thanks.

If with "pushing faster" you mean that the strain velocity applied is faster than the speed of the sound in the medium, I would expect to see "sort of" shock wave in the solid. If [tex]t_o[/tex] is the characteristic time of strain and [tex]t_1=L/c[/tex] is the time of a traveling stress wave, I would expect to see for times [tex]t/t_o\sim O(1)[/tex] a bunch of stress waves stored at the compressed pushed end, and for [tex]t/t_o>>1[/tex] such that [tex]t/t_1\sim O(1)[/tex] the stress waves would reach the other end and the deformation is propagated collaborating in the bulk motion of the pole. That's the case of a supersonic deformation.

I know that in the case of supersonic fluids energy from a collision is transferred back upstream by EM. Perhaps something similar would happen in a solid?

1. What is supersonic speed?

Supersonic speed is when an object, such as an aircraft or projectile, travels faster than the speed of sound. The speed of sound is approximately 343 meters per second (or 767 miles per hour) at sea level.

2. How does supersonic flight work?

Supersonic flight is achieved by using powerful engines that can produce enough thrust to propel an object faster than the speed of sound. This creates shock waves and a sonic boom, which are characteristic of supersonic flight.

3. What are the benefits of supersonic flight?

Supersonic flight can significantly reduce travel time, making it possible to travel long distances in a shorter amount of time. It also allows for faster delivery of goods and emergency response in remote areas.

4. What are the challenges of achieving supersonic flight?

One of the main challenges is the intense heat generated by friction at supersonic speeds, which can damage the aircraft. Another challenge is the production of a sonic boom, which can cause disturbance and damage to structures on the ground.

5. What advancements are being made in supersonic flight technology?

Researchers and engineers are working on developing new materials and designs that can withstand the heat and pressure of supersonic flight. They are also exploring ways to reduce the sonic boom and make supersonic flight quieter and more environmentally friendly.