Help with 2 really easy assignments please

• Thread starter G-nious
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses two easy assignments that involve calculating motion energies and potential energies. The first assignment involves an Audi overtaking a Volvo at different velocities, while the second assignment involves a swimmer diving into water and calculating their potential energy and velocity. The conversation also includes calculations for finding the potential energy of the Volvo on a hill and the swimmer's velocity at different heights.
G-nious
Help with 2 really easy assignments please :)

Hey there, fellas! I'm finnish so I probably don't know all the right terms (if any!), but I hope you get the point. So;

An Audi A3 (mass 1205 kg) is overtaking a Volvo XC (mass 2113kg and velocity 40km/h) at 55 km/h

a) Calculate the cars' motion energies
b) On how big a hill would the Volvo have to drive to have as much potential energy as the Audi has motion energy?

Here's the second one;

A swimmer dives in the water from 10 metres. His mass is 85kg

a) What's the biggest amount of potential energy he can get, errr.. "compared to the water". It's kinda hard to translate this one :/

b) What is his speed on the moment he hits the water?

c) at which height does the swimmer have 50% less velocity than in part b)?

Hope the language isn't all that bad.. :/ Those two are really easy assignments for you I guess :)

Physics news on Phys.org
1a) Kinetic energy = (1/2)mv*v. Where m is the mass, and v is the velocity
1b) kinetic energy = potential energy. (1/2)mv*v = (1/2)mgh. g is gravity, h is height (how high/big the hill is)

2a) I think they want potential energy from the diving board to the ground.
Like above. Potential energy = (1/2)mgh.

2b) you want to find v_f. Where v_f is the final velocity. You know initial velocity = 0, because he is not moving at the start. You know acceleration = gravity. You should know some formulas to relate these.

2c) Remember total kinetic energy + total potential energy = total energy for the whole thing. So they want 50% less velocity, which means 50% less velocity. Now that energy has to go somewhere. So it has to go into the potential energy. However much kinetic energy you lose, that is how much potential energy you must gain.

Hope this helps.

nevermind, need to check something

Last edited:
For question 1b it does. I was not careful in specifying which kinetic energy and which potential energy (that is, which car). But I know G-nious is smart enough to figure it out.

What is the best way to get help with my assignments?

The best way to get help with your assignments is to reach out to your teacher or professor during office hours, attend review sessions, or ask classmates for assistance. You can also utilize online resources such as tutoring services or educational websites.

How can I manage my time effectively to complete my assignments?

To manage your time effectively, it is important to create a schedule and prioritize your assignments based on their due dates and level of difficulty. It may also be helpful to break down larger assignments into smaller, manageable tasks and set aside specific times to work on them.

Is it okay to ask for help with my assignments?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for help with your assignments. Seeking assistance shows that you are committed to learning and improving your understanding of the material. Just be sure to give credit to any sources or individuals who have helped you.

What should I do if I am struggling with my assignments?

If you are struggling with your assignments, the first step is to identify which concepts or topics are causing difficulties. Then, you can seek help from your teacher, classmates, or online resources. It may also be helpful to review notes, attend study groups, or seek additional resources to supplement your learning.

How can I make sure my assignments are completed accurately and on time?

To ensure that your assignments are completed accurately and on time, it is important to carefully read and follow all instructions, double check your work for errors, and submit your assignments before the deadline. It may also be helpful to seek feedback from your teacher or peers to improve the quality of your work.