Voltage Waveform for 3rd and 5th Harmonics with 120Hz Fundamental at 20ms

• Thread starter jitznerd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Harmonics
In summary: V. So you did that just fine!The only thing that might be different is that you are not clear about the units. When you write 240πt, does that mean 240π * t in seconds? If so, then your final answer would be in units of Volts * seconds. But I think you meant to write 240π * 0.02, so that the final answer is just in units of Volts (which is correct).Now, for the 2nd and 3rd terms, just do the same thing, but with different arguments for the sine function. For example, for 28.3sin(720πt),
jitznerd

Homework Statement

An a.c. voltage, V, comprises of a fundamental voltage of 100V rms at a frequency of 120Hz, a third harmonic which is 20% of the fundamental, a 5th harmonic which is 10% of the fundamental and at as phase angle of 1.2 radians lagging.

1. Write down an expression for the voltage waveform.

2. Determine the voltage at 20ms.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not sure if this is right and would appreciate if someone could take a quick look over it please.

1. I have the fundamental (Vrms x √2) at 141.4v at 120Hz
making 3rd harmonic (20% of 141.4) = 28.3v at 360Hz
and the 5th harmonic (10% of 141.4v) = 14.1v at 600Hz

Therefore V=141.1 sin (2∏ft) + 28.3 sin (2∏ft) + 14.1 sin (2∏ft-1.2)

2. Using the equation above and inserting 20ms for "t" I got the following voltages

4.05v + -1.16v(?) + 74.15v = 77.04v

Any help would be appreciated thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
jitznerd said:
Therefore V=141.1 sin (2∏ft) + 28.3 sin (2∏ft) + 14.1 sin (2∏ft-1.2)
You're pretty close. But all of your terms are at the fundamental frequency f. How can you modify the 2nd and 3rd terms, to be at the 3rd and 5th harmonic frequencies instead?
2. Using the equation above and inserting 20ms for "t" I got the following voltages

4.05v + -1.16v(?) + 74.15v = 77.04v

Any help would be appreciated thanks
For the first term, I get something different. Can you show more explicitly how you calculated that one term?
I didn't calculate the 2nd and 3rd terms yet, since your original expression was incorrect. However, the 3rd term has an amplitude of just 14.1V, so no way can you get a contribution of 74.15V from it

Hope that helps.

Thanks for that

So would it be along the lines of:

V=141.1sin(240πt)+28.3sin(720πt)+14.1sin(1200πt-1.2)

How I am working out the voltages is using above formula, This is how I worked out first section but pretty sure I am going around this the wrong way

141.1sin = .268
240 x π x 0.02 = 15.08

.268 x 15.08 = 4.04v

jitznerd said:
Thanks for that

So would it be along the lines of:

V=141.1sin(240πt)+28.3sin(720πt)+14.1sin(1200πt-1.2)
Looks good! :smile:

How I am working out the voltages is using above formula, This is how I worked out first section but pretty sure I am going around this the wrong way

141.1sin = .268
240 x π x 0.02 = 15.08

.268 x 15.08 = 4.04v
To evaluate 141.1sin(240πt):
1. Evaluate (240πt) = 240 x π x 0.02 = 15.08, as you did.
2. Take the sine of that result, 15.08, but first be sure that your calculator is in radians (not degrees) mode.
3. Multiply the result of Step 2 by 141.1

!

Your expression for the voltage waveform seems to be correct based on the given information. However, it is unclear what the units for the voltage values are. It would be helpful to include the units of voltage in your solution.

To determine the voltage at 20ms, you can use the given equation and substitute 20ms for "t". The resulting voltage value should be in the same units as the voltage values in your expression. If you are unsure about the negative value for the 5th harmonic, you can check your calculations again or use a calculator to get a more precise value. Overall, your approach seems to be correct.

1. What are 3rd and 5th harmonics?

The 3rd and 5th harmonics refer to specific frequencies that are multiples of the fundamental frequency in a sound wave or electrical signal. The 3rd harmonic is three times the frequency of the fundamental, and the 5th harmonic is five times the frequency of the fundamental.

2. How are 3rd and 5th harmonics produced in a signal?

3rd and 5th harmonics are produced when the fundamental frequency of a sound wave or electrical signal is distorted or altered. This can happen due to nonlinearities in the medium or equipment through which the signal is passing.

3. What are the effects of 3rd and 5th harmonics on sound quality?

3rd and 5th harmonics can add richness and depth to sound quality, creating a fuller or warmer tone. However, if there are too many harmonics present, it can lead to distortion and a decrease in sound quality.

4. How are 3rd and 5th harmonics used in music production?

In music production, 3rd and 5th harmonics are often manipulated to create different sounds and tones in recordings. This can be done through various effects and processing techniques, such as overdrive, distortion, and equalization.

5. Can 3rd and 5th harmonics be harmful in electrical systems?

Yes, in some cases, 3rd and 5th harmonics can cause issues in electrical systems. They can create excess heat, overload circuits, and damage equipment. Thus, it is important to monitor and control harmonics in electrical systems to prevent such problems.