If f and g are orthogonal, are f* and g orthogonal?

• Thread starter Aziza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orthogonal
In summary, the question asks if complex orthogonal functions f and g remain orthogonal when their complex conjugates f* and g are used. The answer is no, as shown by examples where f and g are orthogonal, but f* and g are not. This is because the conjugation operation changes the inner product between the two functions, resulting in a non-zero value for f* and g.
Aziza
I am curious:

if f and g are (complex) orthogonal functions, are f* and g also orthogonal? (* denotes complex conjugate).

I would think the answer is no, in general, but I just want to confirm

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you integrating over and what functions are you allowed?

For example if you're integrating over the unit circle and all you ask for are integrable functions, then if f = 1/sqrt(z) and g = 1/sqrt(z) (where z has an argument between 0 and 2pi), then
[tex] \oint fg dz = 2\pi i [/tex]
but
[tex] \oint f^* g dz = \oint 1 dz = 0 [/tex]

So f and g are orthogonal, but f* and g are not.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
A simpler example for [itex]f,g\in \mathbb C^2,[/itex] (which we could write as [itex]f,g: \{1,2\}\to \mathbb C[/itex] if you like):

Let [itex]f:= (1,i), g:=(1,-i).[/itex] Then [tex]\langle f, g \rangle = (1)(\overline{1})+(i)(\overline{-i}) = (1)(1)+ (i)(i) = 0,[/tex] and [tex]\langle f^*, g \rangle = (\overline{1})(\overline{1})+(\overline{i})(\overline{-i}) = (1)(1)+ (-i)(i) = 2\neq 0,[/tex] so that [itex]f,g[/itex] are orthogonal, but [itex]f^*,g[/itex] aren't.

1. What does it mean for two functions to be orthogonal?

Orthogonality between two functions means that their inner product, or integral, is equal to zero. In other words, the two functions are perpendicular to each other in a mathematical sense.

2. Can two functions be orthogonal without being perpendicular to each other?

Yes, two functions can be orthogonal without being perpendicular to each other. Orthogonality is a mathematical concept and does not necessarily reflect physical perpendicularity.

3. How can I determine if two functions are orthogonal?

To determine if two functions are orthogonal, you can calculate their inner product using integration. If the result is zero, then the two functions are orthogonal.

4. Is orthogonality a symmetric property?

Yes, orthogonality is a symmetric property, meaning that if f is orthogonal to g, then g is also orthogonal to f. This is because the inner product is commutative, so the order of the functions does not matter.

5. What is the significance of two functions being orthogonal?

Orthogonality between two functions can have various applications in mathematics and physics. For example, orthogonal functions are often used as basis functions in Fourier series and can also help simplify calculations in certain problems.