Can String Theory Predict the Results of Quantum and Relativity Experiments?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential of string theory to predict the results of both quantum theory and general theory of relativity experiments. It is mentioned that string theory is still a work in progress and a unified theory has not yet been found. The conversation also brings up the idea that a successful theory of everything should account for consciousness.
ronan1
Hello everyone

I have a question regarding string theory (ST) predictions:
I am not interested (in this thread) about the predictions related to what is specific about (ST) (what is not predicted by Quantum theory (QT) or General Theory of Relativity (GTR))

I want to know only if (ST) by using its specific equation can predict the result of both (QT) experiments (such as the double slit experiment) and (GTR) experiments (such as observation in the sky)

In other words, is (ST) currently able to reproduce the exact results of both (QT) and (GTR)?

Can you give references if you have the answer.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Good question, I believe (though I may be incorrect) that it could potentially predict the correct results. However, we have not yet found (if string theory is correct and it exists) the correct version of string theory to describe our universe. If the answer to your question was simply "yes" I think that would mean we had found a unified theory - but if I am wrong, someone please correct me.

ronan1 said:
In other words, is (ST) currently able to reproduce the exact results of both (QT) and (GTR)?

Can you give references if you have the answer.

Thank you

ST is still just an elegant mathematical approach towards uniting the theory of relativity and QM. It's not a finished theory yet, as string theorist David Gross states:

"It's as if we've stumbled in the dark into what we thought was a two-bedroom apartment and now we're discovering is a 19-room mansion," he says. "At least. Maybe it's got a thousand rooms, and we're just beginning our journey."

My POV is that a successful theory of everything will have to account for consciousness.

1. What is string theory and how does it predict the behavior of particles?

String theory is a theoretical framework that seeks to unite the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It proposes that particles are not point-like objects, but rather tiny, one-dimensional strings that vibrate at different frequencies. These vibrations determine the properties and behavior of particles, such as mass and charge.

2. Can string theory make testable predictions?

Yes, string theory makes several testable predictions, such as the existence of extra dimensions beyond the three spatial dimensions we experience. It also predicts the existence of supersymmetry, which would explain the unequal masses of particles and potentially provide evidence for dark matter.

3. Has string theory been confirmed by experiments?

No, string theory has not yet been confirmed by experiments. This is because the energy scales required to test string theory are currently beyond our technological capabilities. However, the theory is still actively being researched and refined, and there have been some indirect experimental evidence that supports certain aspects of it.

4. Are there any challenges or criticisms of string theory predictions?

Yes, there are several challenges and criticisms of string theory predictions. One major challenge is the lack of direct experimental evidence, as mentioned before. There are also debates about the number of possible solutions that string theory offers and whether it can make unique predictions. Additionally, some critics argue that string theory is too complex and mathematically abstract to be considered a complete and accurate description of the universe.

5. Could string theory potentially replace the current understanding of physics?

It is possible that string theory could provide a more comprehensive and unified theory of physics, but this is still unknown. It will require further research and experimentation to determine if string theory can fully replace the current understanding of physics. Additionally, there are other competing theories and approaches, so it is too early to say if string theory will ultimately prevail.